Welcome to Eastleigh News

You can change this text in the options panel in the admin

Eastleigh's only independent online news site

Member Login
Lost your password?
Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Huhne charges “will be dropped” tweets Judge

December 16, 2012
By

 

A happy Chris Huhne on Town Bandstand last month

Fresh speculation over Chris Huhne’s forthcoming trial on charges of perverting the course the justice over a speeding offence have emerged after the Daily Mail published a tweet from  Lib Dem party insider Judge Laurence Brassee.

According to the Mail the asylum Judge reported that the Eastleigh MP had bragged to him that charges would be dropped next month:

 ‘Breaking news. Met ex-Energy Sec Chris Huhne in Commons, who confirmed that prosecution against him will be dropped next month.’

His Honour has since deleted the tweet.

So far in the Huhne case there have been a number of pre-trial hearings which have been subject to reporting restrictions.

In October Eastleigh News revealed how another member of judiciary who figures in the Huhne social circle – and who is an important witness in the case – had been arrested on unspecified charges.

The Judge in question, Constance Briscoe, had been said to have played a’ key role’ in the decision by the CPS to press charges against the couple

Mr Huhne’s trial had been listed for January 14 and although there has been a constant campaigning in the constituency in anticipation of a possible by-election a confident and smiling Mr Huhne showed no sign of pressure as he helped switch on the towns Christmas lights last month acknowledging the cheers and waves of the town’s loyal residents.

Last week Ukip leader Nigel Farage ended months of speculation and boosted Conservative prospects by telling BBC reporter Peter Henley that he would not contest the Eastleigh seat if Huhne was forced to resign – although Eastleigh Ukip recently told Eastleigh News they would not stand aside for the Conservatives

The Daily Mail says it was unable to get a comment from Huhne – hardly surprising since his partner lost a £250k harassment case against the newspaper last spring.

Twitter does not seem to sit well with Mr Huhne. An occasional tweeter he was previously caught out using it to brief a Guardian journalist against former cabinet colleague Theresa May.

 

Daily Mail story here

See the Eastleigh News archive of Chris Huhne photos and  stories at:

 www.chrishuhne.co.uk

Tags: , , ,

3 Responses to Huhne charges “will be dropped” tweets Judge

  1. Matthew Myatt on December 17, 2012 at 2:48 am

    Hmmmm. Not sure to make of this.! If the charges are dropped, this would be a very damming development as it would leave the issue unresolved for local voters. Not to mention how Mr Huhne could have access to the CPS decission making process.??

  2. Matthew Myatt on December 17, 2012 at 2:59 am

    Well the plot thickens. The Mail have removed this story from their online website.!! Would The Mail have been so quick to pull this story pre-Levenson.??

  3. Peter Stewart on December 28, 2012 at 9:02 pm

    Presumably there is no statute of limitations on alleged crimes like this. If there isn’t, there should be.



Brexit

Search our Archives

Subscribe to Eastleigh News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Eastleigh News and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 6,942 other subscribers.


%d bloggers like this: