Welcome to Eastleigh News

You can change this text in the options panel in the admin

Eastleigh's only independent online news site

Member Login
Lost your password?
Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Huhne in court at pre-trial hearing

December 4, 2012
By

Huhne ©eastleighnews

Eastleigh MP Chris Huhne appeared in court in Reading yesterday in a pre-trial hearing over the allegation that he perverted the course of justice.

The ex Cabinet Minister is charged with the offence along with ex-wife Vicky Pryce over  allegations that he persuaded her to take his penalty points for a speeding offence in Essex in 2003 – although Ms Pryce did not attend court today.

The pre trial hearings have taken place under reporting restrictions.

Despite the prospect of  the trial looming large Mr Huhne – who has strongly maintained his innocence throughout – has been taking a full part in constituency life.

The former Energy Secretary’s most recent public appearance was on the town bandstand a fortnight ago to help throw the switch on the new £30,000 Christmas lights and spectacular firework display.

A record low turnout crowd braved torrential rain to see Mr. Huhne take part in a parade around the towns streets before climbing the bandstand stairs to give one of his trade mark ‘thumbs up’ gestures complete with ’power smile’ as he posed for the echo photographer alongside Santa and teenage Paralympian David Knott.

The trial is due to take place on January 14 at Southwark Crown Court in London and both Labour and Conservatives have been fiercely canvassing in the constituency in case a guilty verdict triggers a by-election.

Conservatives were out in force over the weekend with party workers being bussed in from neighbouring counties.

The only party not out on the doorsteps are the Lib Dems themselves who are standing by their man…although this would leave them with a lot of ground to make up should the ‘unthinkable’ happen.

Despite this show of resolute support Eastleigh News has heard that West End Councillor David Goodall has been tipped as a possible replacement Lib Dem PPC.

Cllr Goodall impressed in the recent Hampshire Police and Crime Commissioner Elections. Although the post went to independent Simon Hughes, Goodall topped the poll comfortably in Eastleigh.

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to Huhne in court at pre-trial hearing

1. Stephen Slominski on December 4, 2012 at 10:42 am

People still anticipating a verdict in Mr Huhne’s case. I guess you have to be prepared for any eventuality. Still, if it all goes wrong for him (although I’m sure it won’t)I think Cllr Goodall would be a good PPC choice.

I had only previously ever heard him speak at full council, rising to add his voice to the customary chorus of approval, so I was pleasantly surprised by his performance at PCC hustings.

I think he is underemployed and would do well on cabinet council, at the least.

I spoke to Cllr Goodall after the PCC declaration – I ran out of room on the post to include the clip, so I’ll put that straight now:

• Alison Penders on December 14, 2012 at 7:56 pm

How can Mr Googall be a good PCC choice, the position has already been won by an Independant. Surely you Parliamentary Candidate?

• Alison Penders on December 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm

My apologies. Should have put my specks on before I commented on that one. I mistook PPC for PCC. Apologies again.

2. Sophie Corke on December 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I find this issue with Chris Huhne quite interesting, I am divided in my opinions of his guilt and I look forward to seeing how the trial plays out in the new year… If the issue is of interest to you, please take a look at my blog, I cover this topic and the subject of political reform. Let me know what your views are!

Thanks,
    Sophie

• Eastleigh Xpress on December 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Tell us where your blog is and I’m sure people will take a look at it!

• Peter Stewart on December 4, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Sophie, no need to be divided. You should consider Chris Huhne innocent until a Court offers proof to the contrary.

Never forget the wonderful civil liberties we have built up in England since the Magna Carta. Foremost among these is the presumption of innocence.

3. Matthew Myatt on December 7, 2012 at 12:00 am

Sophie, no need to be divided.You should consider Chris Huhne innocent until a Court offers proof to the contrary.

Never forget the wonderful civil liberties we have built up in England since the Magna Carta.Foremost among these is the presumption of innocence.

Its a very nice idea Pete, but in practice you will find that once you are arrested, you will have your details handed out by the local Police, which find their way into local newspapers, where you will be found guily by gossip and have your life ruied regaurdless of ANY crown verdit.

We see this week after week and it will not change until the Police stop doing this and accept also that people are innocent UNTIL proven guilty and the press stop reporting sexy gossip stories until the jury return with THEIR verdit.!!

• Pete Stewart on December 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

Agreed Matthew. We seem to have lost something in this country. There seems to be a blame culture. Not sure if it has always been like this. I don’t think it has. Look at the way the rape law has changed, to allow anonymity for the accuser, while the accused is named. How can that be fair? And whatever happened to sub judice? I thought that once a person was charged, that was pretty much the end of press coverage, except to report basic facts. Seems not these days (well, the big papers seem to get away with it). Not that I am calling for statutory press regulation, just a return to what I thought we had, which seemed to be common sense. Maybe that’s it. Perhaps the people have lost their common sense (or fairness) (or justice). All pretty much the same thing I suppose. I was taught there are always two sides to a story. I’ve always found that to be the case. That’s where common sense comes in. I guess if the people have lost that, they will only ever see one side. But that’s where the injustice happens. I guess trial by Press would be alright PROVIDED both sides of the story were presented to the “jury”. But they aren’t. As you say, people seem content to accept whatever they are told. Maybe they are just bored with life. Look at the apathy there is. Look at how they meekly accept the loss of their own manufacturing base at the hands of those they elect to represent their best interests! Is that insanity or what? When their globalist masters tell them that their jobs are being exported because it’s “cheaper”, they just accept it without question. Whatever happened to the British people? Meanwhile, it remains for those among us who still preserve common sense to wait for all the facts before judging. This doesn’t mean people have to vote LibDem or like the LibDems. It just means according the same rights to Chris Huhne that they would (presumably) expect themselves.

4. Sam Snook on December 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm

12 December 2012.
    Pickles takes action to obolish regional plans.
    The East of England will be the first area in the country to have its regional planning stratergy officially abolished from 3rd January 2013 Under powers brought in by the Localism Act 2011

The government will remove the previous administration’s regional
    stratergies giving local councils and communites more control over development.
    Sam Snook

5. James Penders on December 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm

With regards to Huhne, the court will decide, that’s us by the way.
    Now Sam Snook, localism act here, what you on about, seeing as you have had more political parties than Chelsea have had Managers, your comments fall on stoney ground

6. Pete Stewart on December 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm

JAMES
    Fortunately for justice, the people are NOT the Court. If they were, Chris Huhne would already be found guilty before his trial, such is the massive public hostility towards him. I’d be surprised if he could even get a fair trial now.

As for Sam Snook, he is correctly reporting that under the Localism Act, the power of the EU Regional Assembly and other unelected EU bodies, has been overturned and rightfully handed back to elected councils in the East of England (region). If you look carefully, Sam did not say it was happening here in the South East (region).

As for Sam changing political parties, what’s new? Winston Churchill was elected as a Conservative MP in 1900, then as a Liberal MP in 1904, then in 1924 he stood twice as an “Independent” candidate (unsuccessfully) and then again in 1924 became a Conservative MP. I myself was a Conservative for 20 years and have been in UKIP for 18 years. Nothing wrong in changing allegiance to reflect changing conditions.

I believe it was Keynes who said, “When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do?”

• James Penders on December 14, 2012 at 10:06 pm

WE are the court, unless you know of another group of society that we draw from? Sam Snook, who cares.

• Pete Stewart on December 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

JAMES
        We are definitely NOT the court. There’s a huge difference between a jury and the rest of society from which the jury is selected. And if society has already found Chris Huhne guilty, without even being in a position to hear the evidence, then how can we expect a fair trial? The point is, this is not about Chris Huhne, it is about whether we slip insidiously into the the Roman (Continental) (EU) legal system, where a person is presumed guilty until they can prove their innocence, or whether we maintain our own Anglo Saxon principle of innocence until proven otherwise. Give me our ancient principles of justice any day.

• James Penders on December 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

The man is innocent until proven guilty, by a court of his fellow peers 12 good men of true drawn from the society in which they reside. He will get a fair trial, because outside of Eastleigh, he is a nobody. The ramifications of a guilty verdict, could, unravel via the borough, because you can fool some of the people some of the time………………..

• Pete Stewart on December 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

James, I believe Chris Huhne is known by most people in the country. He is a former Cabinet Minister, with all sorts of unpopular green agendas behind him and bags of scathing publicity in the national papers surrounding the break up of his marriage. He is also a LibDem and who knows what revenge LibDem voters might want to exact on the LibDems for their forming a coalition with their arch enemies the Tories? Also, there is the mass of newspaper comment on his alleged speeding offence. Most of this comment seems to be of the opinion that Chris Huhne is guilty. There can surely be hardly anyone in Britain who has not seen or heard the newspaper, TV or radio coverage of all of this. But I hope you are right and that he does find it possible to get a fair trial.

Brexit

Search our Archives

Enter your email address to subscribe to Eastleigh News and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 6,945 other subscribers.

%d bloggers like this: