Welcome to Eastleigh News

You can change this text in the options panel in the admin

Eastleigh's only independent online news site

Member Login
Lost your password?
Not a member yet? Sign Up!

‘I don’t live in Gatwick!’ insists Tory candidate

March 16, 2015
By

Lib Dem literature wrong says Mims Davies while on rail works visit

Mims Davies, the Conservative’s Eastleigh candidate in the general election, has hit back at stories being circulated that she lives near Gatwick and has to make “a three hour round trip” whenever she visits the borough.

Davies reacted to an article that was published in a Liberal Democrat newsletter while she was visiting the Arlington Fleet services facility with the Railways Minister Claire Perry.

“I have never lived in Gatwick” Davies told Eastleigh News.

“I am from Mid-Sussex but I have a house in Bursledon and I am well known in the area.

“Yes, I haven’t lived in the area all my life and I certainly haven’t been the leader or the MP for numerous years but I don’t think that precludes me from having a clear view of what matters to people here in Eastleigh”.

Claire Perry said that development in the area meant that more investment was needed to cope with extra traffic and in public transport.

She said she thought Mims Davies would “stand up for Eastleigh” and highlight these issues.

Arlington fleet services are based at the former British rail engineering works and around 80 people are employed in the maintenance and repair of trains.

In 2004 former British Rail engineers used their redundancy pay to start the company after Alstom vacated the site and so have kept link between the rail industry and the borough alive.

With Parliament set to dissolve on March 30, I asked the minister what she thought was the coalition government’s greatest achievement and Perry responded:

“Getting the economy from a place where it was heading off a cliff to where it is now, one of the strongest and fastest growing economies in the developed world.

“Businesses like Arlington have benefitted from that, from business confidence and the help that has been given to small businesses in terms of tax relief and the very enthusiastic economic climate”.

Tags: , , , , , ,

42 Responses to ‘I don’t live in Gatwick!’ insists Tory candidate

1. pianoman3 on March 16, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Good. I don’t want my next MP to be “average”. Remind me, where did Chris Huhne live? Lots of people move for employment reasons, very few resign from one job before having another job to go to. So let’s give this young woman a break and concentrate on her abilities.

• Matthew Myatt on March 16, 2015 at 10:07 pm

A very good point sir.. I withdraw my hat from the ring. 😉

• pianoman3 on March 16, 2015 at 10:41 pm

What a gent!

• Matthew Myatt on March 16, 2015 at 10:44 pm

O Stop It.. 😉

2. John Renard on March 16, 2015 at 11:14 pm

What’s this! Surely she isn’t saying that those nice LibDem people have been less than truthful in all their literature about her! Next you’ll be telling us that they aren’t protecting our green fields from housing development, contrary to the assurances in their ‘newsletters’.

• Stephen Slominski on March 16, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Well, they are right in saying she comes from Sussex but not the Gatwick bit.
      I have also read that Mark Latham comes from London (lived here 10 years) Mike Thornton comes from Farnham (lived here 20 years) and Patricia Culligan is from ‘leafy Surrey’ from where she once applied for ‘ a job in Brussels’ ( I wonder if this is the same ‘job in Brussels’ that Cllr Steve Sollitt applied for?)
      But if locality is the prime criteria then the election should be easy to call all we have to do is wait for the ‘Statement of persons nominated’ to be published then use their postcode to work out the distance of their home from the town centre.
      Perhaps they could be listed on ballot slips in order of proximity – closest first?
      Cor! I’d fancy standing as not only would I be the closest but also I’ve lived in Eastleigh longer than all the other candidates combined having been born here.
      Despite this, I’d probably find myself being described as the ‘Candidate from Poland”.
      Actually I don’t think voters are bothered. I think most voters are concerned that the person is fit and proper and has policies they agree with – a passing acquaintance with the area is desirable but not essential – look at Diane James’s performance in 2013.

Here is a post from the 2010 campaign – a review of peter Henley’s Daily Politics show.
      Candidates argue about housing and who is the most local.

• David Knowles on March 21, 2015 at 11:55 am

The Conservatives never respond to negative comments and never indulge in negative comments..Rules from on high!

3. John Milne on March 16, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Lib Dems getting worried. They tried to pull the same thing with Maria Hutchings 3 years after she had bought a house, registered with local doctors and dentists and her children were attending local schools.

I’m sure the lovely and honest Mike Thornton will have proof somewhere in his office only to then have to admit he doesn’t (sound familiar). I wish he lived near Gatwick.

4. James Penders on March 17, 2015 at 12:19 am

If we are saying that the centre of town is The Iron Man, then i would win in any race to be the closest. On that note, we could judge the PPCs by their performance in the Eastleigh 10k, assuming they are all running, I know Mike and Mark are running not sure about the Tory, and ive heard the Silly Kipper will only use the far right hand side of the road.

• Eastleigh Xpress on March 17, 2015 at 12:28 am

But you come from Scotland!!

• Eastleigh Bloke on March 17, 2015 at 8:39 am

The Iron Man is in Birmingham. Do you mean the Railway Man?

• James Penders on March 17, 2015 at 9:16 am

Yes, The Railway Man, made of Iron, from Scottish ore. Covering all bases there.

• Eastleigh Bloke on March 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm

So the Railway Man is Scottish? I’m surprised he’s not standing for election as a “local”.

• John Milne on March 17, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Is he proposing devolution for Eastleigh? If so I’d like to apply for the post of Ambassador to the Bahamas please or failing that chief of the secret police.

• James Penders on March 17, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Ill put a can of Irn Bru in his hand, then he will be made from Girders.

5. Ray Turner on March 17, 2015 at 12:36 am

Perhaps the Lib Dems will remember the importance of having local candidates when they nominate candidates for Hedge End Town Council. Some of the serving Councillors don’t actually live in Hedge End, let alone within the ward they represent..

Though I fully expect that the Lib Dems will demonstrate their double-standards, as usual…

• Me4Eastleigh on March 17, 2015 at 3:58 am

Yep One who sits on HETC & West end PC lives in Eastleigh South!

• Me4Eastleigh on March 17, 2015 at 7:12 am

Hmmm don’t do as I do, do as I say

6. Me4Eastleigh on March 17, 2015 at 3:57 am

Mike who? Never heard of him. So who is our current MP.

• Me4Eastleigh on March 17, 2015 at 7:13 am

Ahh he comes from Farnham Surrey. Got it.

• John Milne on March 17, 2015 at 8:04 am

And he’s going to save the greenfields.

7. Justice4Eastleigh on March 17, 2015 at 4:21 pm

On a slightly side note. Interesting how Mike4eastleigh posted this on Twitter account whilst HIS council, of which HE is a member, CLOSED down the Tourist office in Eastleigh.!! https://mobile.twitter.com/Mike4Eastleigh/status/577830928023715840

8. Rosie on March 17, 2015 at 5:27 pm

but only those scruffy fields and the boot sale site on Hamble Lane… (Lib Dems are proactively sacrifincing the countryside in and around Bursledon, Botley etc with hundreds or thousands of houses ….)

• Aloysius on March 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm

I think you’re misunderstanding. The LibDems aren’t sacrificing the countryside, they’re keeping it safe for future generations – by hiding it under housing developments.

Much as one might hide a few quid under the mattress.

• David Knowles on March 21, 2015 at 11:50 am

I hope you are being sarcastic!

9. John C Martin on March 17, 2015 at 10:39 pm

The origin of this ‘discussion’ is the Local Lib Dems literature. What amazes me is not so much the distorted self praise / everyone else is at fault compared to us stuff that they produce, but that so many good Lib Dem people , I guess those who aint on the nicely paid Cabinet, , so passively go along with what they are expected to support..

• pianoman3 on March 17, 2015 at 10:42 pm

That’s why the party locally knows they can take them and their votes for granted.

10. John C Martin on March 17, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Who are them ? All I’m referring to are the 40 odd Councillors who I’m sure entered local politics in the hope of assisting the disadvantaged in our society, yet have found themselves wanting/needing/being guided, to agree with their local professional leadership.. Goodness me, whatever happened to personal principle ? !

• Stephen Slominski on March 17, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Try googling “Iron Law of Oligarchy”

• anonymous on April 2, 2015 at 8:52 am

All the people with personal principle left the party when it was clear that principles were not important to the Lib Dems.. Look at the records.

11. Me4Eastleigh on March 20, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Interesting that Lib Dem Bruce Tennant who is a Parish & Borough Councillor for West End and a HCC Councillor for West End & Hedge End is standing as a Parliamentary Candidate in The New Forrest where he DOES NOT LIVE.
    HOW DOES IT GO? DONT DO AS I DO DO AS I SAY.
    HYPOCRITS!

• maureen on March 20, 2015 at 9:15 pm

People move around for jobs all the time. This is such a non-story.

12. Rosie on March 21, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Is Mims Davies’ house in Bursledon her main house or is it a holiday home? Would be interested to know as have never seen her in and around Bursledon, other than once when she started her election campaign!

13. Rob Byrne on March 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Lots of talk here from our tory minister and hopeful candidate about the stupidity of all the housing development here without investing in the road infrastructure. Could they not encourage our TORY county council to put their hands in their deep lucre lined pockets to shell out for the elusive Chickenhall link road. YES it costs a lot BUT they do have vast reserves, the developers contributions xo go to them and more importantly, if they don’t, we’ll soon need a parking ticket just to drive through Eastleigh !

• maureen on March 21, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Vast reserves? I think you’ve been reading the inflated figures in Out-of-Focus. I think developer contributions go to Eastleigh.

14. Me4Eastleigh on March 21, 2015 at 9:41 pm

It is The Borough Council (aka the Lib Dems in Eastleigh) who gain the funding for infrastructure (Roads etc) from developer contributions S106 & CIL ( Community Infrastructure Levy). If they fail to negotiate this with developers then they have no Money to pass to HCC for improved infrastructure, this includes roads and schools.

HCC reserves are required to meet potential liabilities, ALL Councils have to do this, they get audited on the fact they do not exceed the Max reserves or go under the mimimum to meet potential obligations.
    This is true for Parish Councils upwards.
    If you go out of the boundaries then you get a slap on the wrists from the auditors. HCC is a VERY BIG County Council with huge obligations, hence large reserves to potentially meet those obligations.
    You SHOULD raid reserves.
    Eastleigh Borough Council I understand have received such a slap for not holding enough reserves to meet POTENTIAL Obligations.
    Its a bit like overspending your credit limit on your credit card.

SO IF YOU WANT THE CHICKENHALL LINK ROAD IT IS THE LIB DEMS ON EBC YOU NEED TO LOBBY NOT HCC.

Totally agree with you about all the housing. Again this is due the Lib Dem controlled EBC having no Local Plan and NO 5 year land supply for housing. This is causing a large number of hostile planning applications to be placed with EBC. These will succeed until a Local Plan is in place or a 5 Year Housing Land supply can be demonstrated.
    Yes this will / is causing traffic gridlock in Eastleigh. Again the Lib Dems are responsible for playing politics with the local plan and ignoring the advice of their then Planning Policy and design group in 2011!

We are in a real mess!

Don’t believe what you read in Lib Dem literature, it is designed to mislead!

• Me4Eastleigh on March 22, 2015 at 6:52 am

Typo YOU SHOULD NOT RAID RESERVES.

15. John Martin on March 23, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Your analysis makes sense. In the absence of any contradiction, one can only assume your assertions are not far off the mark.. .

The Council is 90% made up of Lib Dem Councillors.. . . .You would think that at least one of them would wish to defend their position.. . . .or admit to the failures they’ve passively accepted. .. .

Why do we hardly hear from them, be it in local newspaper correspondence, or on the Eastleigh News forums ?

16. kev on March 29, 2015 at 9:44 am

Chickenhall link road! What a laugh, as if that will solve anything! Every route in Eastleigh is stuffed at peak times and its only going to get worse once the Fib dems have concreted everywhere taking the developers cash and ignoring what we, the people they SERVE need. the arrogance of House and co is sickening and Thornton is just a naff salesman who got out when the regulation got tough. I’d vote for Mickey Mouse rather than this bunch of interlopers and their oligarchy.

17. Me4Eastleigh on March 30, 2015 at 10:15 am

Yet another Eastleigh Lib Dem Councillor for West End and a West End Parish Councillor is standing as PPC…This time on the Isle of Wight!

Don’t do as I do do as I say!

18. Sam on April 3, 2015 at 7:25 pm

UKIP LEADER Nigel Farage what a blonker.

• Sam on April 5, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Sam say’s time’s up UKIP,

Would you please publish your accounts -as promised.
      on 22/3/2015. Thank you.
      Sam

Search Eastleigh News

Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email.

Video Reports