Welcome to Eastleigh News

You can change this text in the options panel in the admin

Eastleigh's only independent online news site

Member Login
Lost your password?
Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Eastleigh earn all three points at home to Sutton United

August 8, 2017

Eastleigh manager Richard Hill watching on

Richard Hill’s Spitfires held on to a narrow 1-0 victory at home to Sutton United this evening in the Vanarama National League with 1744 watching at The Silverlake Stadium.

Former Spitfires Dean Beckwith, Dan Spence, Ross Lafayette, Moses Emmanuel and Jamie Collins all lined up for Sutton as Richard Hill’s Spitfires named Sam Matthews on the bench who returned on loan from AFC Bournemouth following a spell last season.

Eastleigh had a bright start with Sam Wood swinging in a dangerous ball only for Sutton’s Jamie Butler to gather it easily. Sutton won the first few corners of the game but it proved no worries for the Eastleigh defence.

After a lot of pressure from Sutton, it began to be an even affair after ten minutes with both teams cancelling each other out. However, Sutton has another corner and Aswad Thomas came close with a header. The visitors came even closer when Spence drilled in a shot only for Graham Stack to pull off a great save.

Michael Green started to look dangerous on the left wing and set up Mark Yeates but the winger couldn’t quite find anyone in the box. A long free kick fell for Reda Johnson moments later but the defender couldn’t quite control the ball. Sutton won a free kick midway through the first half but it proved no worries for Stack in goal.

Green won a corner approaching the half hour mark as Yeates swung it in only for it to be headed away out of danger.

Captain Sam Togwell then had a chance blocked for Eastleigh as the hosts started to pile on the pressure.

Yeates had a good chance to break the deadlock after 40 minutes after some neat play but he just couldn’t keep his shot down. The half finished 0-0 with it all to play for.

Sutton started the second half brightly as Emmanuel was through on goal only for Andrew Boyce to cut him out last minute. Sutton then won a dangerous free kick on the edge of the box but it didn’t come to anything.

Eastleigh then had a good chance to go ahead as they looked to have gone through on goal but Butler made a good save however the resulting back to back corners came to nothing.

The Spitfires finally opened the scoring when Yeates made a great run down the right wing and shot only for it to be saved in the direction of Ben Williamson who bundled it in.

Sutton won a corner midway through the second half but it came to. Irking as their keeper Butler was playing a very high line and coming out a lot to provide an extra man.

Following a double substitution from Sutton, Paul McCallum came off for Chris Zebroski as goalscorer Williamson came off for Craig McAllister.

A solid Gavin Hoyte was his team mates were keeping a clean sheet for Eastleigh as The Spitfires were pressing for another as Yeates came close again with 15 minutes remaining.

With ten minutes to go, James Constable replaced Wood as the rain started to pour to down.

There weren’t too many clear cut chances late in the second half with the game starting to get scrappy. Constable rattled the cross bar and Sutton’s Craig Eastmond couldn’t quite find the net.

Eastleigh held on for all three points in a well-earned victory for Hill’s men. They now take on Dagenham & Redbridge this Saturday in the Vanarama National League.

Search our Archives

Subscribe to Eastleigh News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Eastleigh News and receive the latest articles by email.

Join 6,813 other subscribers.