Traffic chaos came to Eastleigh this evening as the rush hour traffic was once again affected by snowfalls on top of a frozen road surface – the second time in a fortnight.
Further Snowfall is predicted for tonight. The cold snap is expected to continue for the rest of the week with temperatures in Eastleigh predicted to fall as low as – 15 on Friday!
Hampshire police have issued the following advice to Motorists:
· Snow and ice can make driving treacherous, so try and manoeuvre gently and avoid any harsh braking or acceleration.
· Drive in the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin, and allow extra space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front.
· It can take ten times longer to stop in icy conditions than in dry, fine weather, so drive slowly.
· If you do have to brake on snow or ice then get into a lower gear, earlier than normal, allow your speed to fall and use the brake pedal gently.
· If you start to skid then ease off the accelerator, but do not brake suddenly.
· Take a few minutes to prepare your vehicle before you set off on your journey. Make sure you clear all windscreens and windows and drive carefully.
· Always tell someone where you are going, and make sure that you keep essential items in your car in case of a breakdown such as; a blanket, some warm clothing, a hot drink and a torch.
· Winter sun is also extremely bright and dazzling, so always keep a pair of sunglasses in the car and on long journeys ensure you take regular breaks as tiredness can kill.