Tories: We won’t fight Huhne

Chris Huhne

The Conservative party chairperson Baroness Warsi has indicated that the Conservatives may not be contesting Eastleigh in a bid to unseat MP Chris Huhne at the next General Election.

Both Chris Huhne the Energy minister and Baroness Warsi were attending a press conference called by the coalition to attack the Labour Party’s record in government.

According to The Spectator, Warsi:

“…refused to commit the Tories to trying to win Huhne’s marginal seat at the next election. Huhne won last time thanks to Labour supporters lending him their votes something that won’t happen next time If Huhne, who has also been damaged by stories about his personal life, is to hold on in 2015.He’ll almost certainly need some help from his coalition partners. This help could range from the Tories simply not putting resources into the seat”

The spectator also quotes a Conservative minster as saying:

‘If the Coalition is a success, a future Lord Ashcroft won’t be pouring millions into trying to unseat Chris Huhne in Eastleigh’

However a recent appearance in Eastleigh by the prospective Labour Party leaders has raised the expectation that come the next General Election, the Labour Party would be putting more resources into reclaiming the 4,000 votes they lost to Mr Huhne in May.

The was not the first harmonious public appearance By Mr Huhne and Baroness Warsi – they have previously appeared as fellow panellists on BBC’s Question Time during which they were united in their condemnation of the BNP’s Nick Griffin.

Conservative approval of Mr Huhne comes at the same time as he appears to be moving progressively – further to the right.

At yesterdays’ press conference Mr Huhne attacked Labour’s public spending programmes as being responsible for the forthcoming package of spending cuts.

During one of his first appearances at the despatch box Mr Huhne told the house that the debt crises sweeping Europe was due to Socialism (perhaps he was referring to the socialization of banking debt).

The Lib Dem MP has been dubbed locally as ‘U-turn Huhne’ for his post election damascene conversion to the cause of immediate public spending cuts and tax rises.

Along with the Eastleigh’s Lib Dem council he was he was previously strongly in favour of the Swimming Challenge Fund which provided free swimming for the young and elderly – now they have withdrawn support for it.

Mr Huhne had warned against a conservative government raising VAT – now he is in favour and even denies it would affect the poor disproportionately.

He has also come in from strong criticism for dropping his opposition to nuclear power since becoming Energy minister – he has just announced the next generation of Nuclear Power Stations would be commissioned by 2018 – but here is what he said before the election:

7 comments for “Tories: We won’t fight Huhne

1. Andy Lombardi
    August 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm

He’s going to need the fire brigade soon to extinguish his pants!

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

2. Matthew Myatt
    August 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm

The people of Eastleigh got just what they voted for.

Suck it up people, SUCK IT UP..!!

3. Anne Romaine
    August 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm

On last night’s Newsnight Huhne claimed this wasn’t true and that it was a “silly season” story.

Mind you he also told us a tactical vote for the Lib Dems would keep the Tories out.

Wonder how long it will be before he joins the Conservative Party proper.

August 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

There is a precedent of course in the 1918 ‘khaki’ election – the ruling Liberal/Consevative coalition fielded ‘Coupon’ candidates.
      The Consevatives gave their support to 150 Liberal candidates most of whom were successfully returned.
      Chris Huhne is well steeped in the history and tradition of the Liberal party and is well aware of this.
      As a former investment risk analyst he is used to forward thinking – dispite his dismissal of the idea – it is unlikely not to have occurred to him.
      In the inter war years folowing the Khaki election there were Liberal defections to the Conservatives – most notably Winston Churchill.

4. peter stewart
    August 17, 2010 at 10:34 am

I call on ALL true conservative minded people to STOP being hypocritical! STOP VOTING CONSERVATIVE!

You have two genuine options: (1) Abstain (2) Vote UKIP! Better to choose the latter. I was a Conservative for 20 years until 1994 when I joined UKIP on principle. Yes on PRINCIPLE!

True Conservatives awake! It is no good deriding the creeping of the LibDems towards the Tories, while ignoring the fact that Cameron is creeping the Tory party towards the LibDems.

What’s wrong with you? Have you no principles? Have you no shame? Are you interested only in the superficial political “labels” which politicians carefully attach to their parties to fool you into believing they really have something different to offer you?

Surely you would NOT vote for a donkey simply because it had the Tory label attached to its ear? But that is exactly what you have done! You have voted for a donkey just because it brayed, “I am a Conservative, I am a Conservative”! It would be alright if that donkey were patriotic and supported self-rule for Britain, rather than going around braying that we, the British people, are unfit to govern ourselves and that we should pay a bunch of corrupt, European functionaries to do it for us. Ye gads! What will it take to wake you lot up? Do you not see that the only way to reform the Tory party is to force it to its knees by deliberately causing its failure! So I say again, abstain or vote UKIP!

5. Charlie Keene
    August 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I am a Tory voter, and I am one who despises tactical voting. People should always have the bottle to vote for the party or person that they believe comes closest to their way of thinking. But what do you do if the election is so rigged that your choice is forcibly removed from you? We decry soviet and banana republics for doing that.

If the Tories do not put up a viable candidate and run a full-on campaign to have that person elected, I would vote tactically. Against my better judgement I would vote Labour for the first time since 1979 and despite the fact that I disagree with just about everything that party stands for. Better that than endorse a puppet MP.

August 19, 2010 at 10:00 am

Thats interesting Charlie – that you would consider voting Labour in Eastleigh.
    I know Eastleigh UKIP are banking on disgruntled Tories defecting to them in the next Election and already rubbing their hands
    in eager anticipation.
    I’m sure Pete Stewart will post on here in a minute to confirm this!!!