Eastleigh fire-fighters were called to the scene of a town centre blaze today as the former Mija bar in the Leigh Road shopping precinct caught fire.
Two fire engines with ten crew were called at approximately 2.30 pm while the precinct was still busy with dozens of shoppers and the area immediately to the front of the building was sealed off.
The small fire was quickly brought under control although it was not clear how the fire had started. Damage was not said to be extensive.
The pub is one of a number of eyesore shuttered premises in the town centre which have stood empty for a long time – in this case over 18 months and despite an advertised price reduction.
Since former leaseholders Boots the Chemist relocated to the Swan Centre the unit has only traded traded for short periods as a discount shop and was previously another bar – ‘Lucky Jims’.