Police appeal for info on Eastleigh explosion

Fleming Park, scene of a sexual assault

Fleming Park – scene of gas explosion?

Police are investigating the circumstances following a loud explosion in or around the area of Fleming Park in Eastleigh last night which was heard as far away as North Baddesley.

Members of the public contacted police at around 10.30pm expressing their concerns after hearing the loud explosion.

A wide and extensive ground and air search was conducted by officers at locations where it was thought that the explosion had occurred, but there was no visible evidence or damage found.

It has been reported that someone may have been letting off flares or fireworks.

Chief Inspector Paul Bartolomeo said: “This was a particularly frightening experience for residents living within the central Eastleigh area and I would like to reassure them that we are doing all we can to find out what it was that caused such a loud explosion. We would ask whoever is responsible or anyone who may have seen or heard exactly what it was that caused the explosion to contact us.”

Officers will be conducting day time searches today, Tuesday, February 15, and providing reassurance to residents, while also appealing for information.

Rumours on social media this morning is that youths exploded a gas cylinder on Fleming Park.

If anyone has information about who is responsible, they are asked to contact Eastleigh police station on 101 or the Crimestoppers charity line anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Custom Search

11 comments for “Police appeal for info on Eastleigh explosion

February 15, 2011 at 9:24 am

and again 😉

2. Peter Stewart Chairman UKIP Eastleigh
    February 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

Perhaps it was CAMERON’S COSY COALITION backfiring?

He promised to cut immigration. He gave us a cast iron promise! He lied! Again! He knows he cannot stop it as long as we stay annexed by the EU.

Mass immigration of cheap EU labour CANNOT be stopped under EU law (which takes precedence over English and Scottish law). Get this: There is NOTHING we can do to stop this mass immigration. So who will be affected most by this?

In just 9 months since last April, youth unemployment (16 to 24 years old) has rocketed from 17% to 20% (about ONE MILLION)! That’s ONE IN FIVE of our young workers out of work.

Employers cannot believe their luck. They have a legal way of profiteering. They have an endless supply of cheap labour.

This problem can only get worse, especially as the economic pressure increases. This will INCREASE the demand for cheap EU labour!

This Conservative coalition is a sham. Show your anger to Tory leaders by voting UKIP! DON’T GET MAD – GET EVEN!

3. Arthur Invicta
    February 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

Peter Stewart….oh dear.

Would you like to go and have a lie down?

Have a nice cup of tea, calm yourself down.

4. Andy Lombardi
    February 15, 2011 at 10:55 am

Peter Stewart….oh dear.
    Would you like to go and have a lie down?
    Have a nice cup of tea, calm yourself down.

I have to agree with you.

5. Chris Stoner
    February 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm

@Peter Stewart – I’m surprised you could hear the explosion given that your head is stuck so far up your backside. Is this now party policy to shamelessly hijack banal new stories for your own political ends? You sir, are a fool.

6. admin
    February 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I must admit, I fail to see what part David Cameron played in last night’s shenanigans.
    A polite reminder to posters – all your contributions are valued but please try and stay on topic.
    Failure to do so will result in your being kidnapped and forced to read copies of Eastleigh Borough News.
    Persistent offenders will receive tickets to a production at the Point. 🙂

7. Matthew Myatt
    February 15, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Persistent offenders will receive tickets to a production at the Point.

This had me wetting myself.. This is more funny than the time The Point said that the Music Festival could make a profit..

February 20, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Chris Stoner – Old Chinese saying – Poke bear with long bamboo – watch him dance! Heck! If this is a banal story, why are YOU reading it? NOW whose head is up his backside then?

February 20, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I have to agree with you. I think UKIP’s view is to not let a news item pass without electioneering on the back of it.Even with the state of the Government and the inevitable local election backlash they feel paranoid enough to have to resort to this for votes.  (Quote)

Correct Andy. I will use every opportunity to remind people of the DISASTER which opening our borders to a mass immigration of cheap EU labour has created for our young (and not so young) workers. Anyway, I’ve had my nice cup o’ tea (Twinings of course, because I know it’s made in Britain) and ah’m all calm’d down nah! Besides, I don’t want to go too far off topic…the thought of having to read Eastleigh Borough News is makin’ me sweat. Luckily I’m not a professional politician so I don’t have to worry about political correctness. But just one last comment…I don’t care who wins in Eastleigh so long as it’s NOT the so-called “Conservative” party! Now I’m going to stand back…I’ve poked the bear with a long bamboo and I’m going to watch the fun and games!

February 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Seems pretty obvious to me what caused the bang. Some kids simply kept back one of those damned great Chinese fireworks and let it off in Fleming Park. These things can make a terrific earth shaking explosion at night time. Besides, I didn’t hear it here so it couldn’t have been that loud.

February 20, 2011 at 10:42 pm

There was a time when these fireworks were made in the UK.
      What has happened to the British firework industry?
      Where are Wessex,Pains, Brocks, Benwell, Standard and Astra?