Council brand Eastleigh News tog as ‘violent’

Matthew Myatt
Matthew Myatt ©

Eastleigh News contributor Matthew Myatt was shocked to discover that his name – along with the names of other local political and eco activists – appears on a secret council list of ‘undesirables’ which is circulated to councillors, council staff and private contractors.

The amiable dad-of-five has now hit the headlines himself and a clearly upset Matthew was interviewed by BBC political correspondent Peter Henley on South Today today.

The Lib Dem run council say the leaked list is needed to protect those in its employment from ‘potentially aggressive clients’ through the use of confidential profiling.

However Matthew said:

“There appears to be a total lack of transparency regarding the process –who is it who decides if someone has been potentially aggressive or has stated views in a robust manner?

I have no criminal convictions yet find myself labelled as potentially violent and subject to prejudice presumably as a result of a spat with a council official a couple of years ago.

Regulations state the council should notify people if they are blacklisted -an action which should be subject to appeal or review – but this doesn’t appear to happen in Eastleigh.

My name has been circulated to private contractors who could decline to offer me goods or services because some faceless council official has taken exception to me or my views.

I have been completely unaware that my reputation was being maligned in this way”

Stephen Slominski the Admin for Eastleigh News said:

“I am amazed to learn that in addition to Matthew the name of another contributor to Eastleigh News also appears on the list.

The way in which the data is being managed and the purposes to which it is being used ,which appears to include political purposes ,raises big questions about civil liberties in Eastleigh. It is chilling to think that the council – which we revealed has refused to install cameras in the council chamber on the grounds of cost – has spent over £800,000 in three years on CCTV in order to spy on people and keeps secret lists on residents it does not approve of.”

The council has written to Matthew asking for their list back but has not issued an apology.

Photo: ©Matthew Myatt

links:

See also:

‘Eastleigh overblog’

N.B. Eastleigh News is not responsible for content on external websites. See more

47 comments for “Council brand Eastleigh News tog as ‘violent’

April 27, 2011 at 8:37 am

Is it actually ILLEGAL to keep such a list?

April 27, 2011 at 9:00 am

No it is not illegal. No one is saying there is no need for such a list either, but the lack of redress, named administration, published policy etc is very worrying.

You could be contracted by the council and shown a list which could include confidential medical details.
      With this information you might decline services or employment to someone.

But how do we know the information is fair and accurate if it is secret and cannot be challenged?

You could be on a list and not know about it.

Matthew did not even know about the existence of such a list let alone whether or not he was on one.

2. James Wooton, Hedge End
    April 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

This is an outrage!

I have meet Matthew during one of his display and have talked with him about photography and Eastleigh at length.

Whilst I do not share some of his views on some subjects I would certainly not describe him as potentially dangerous or violent. Passionate YES but far from dangerous.

This man is a credit to our Borough and campaigns hard on issues he believes in. I understand he was on the mayors committee for Peter Wall and helped to raise £40,000 for local charities.

This is a disgusting abuse of council power and one that sickens me to my stomach.

Big Brother on LSD.!!

• easy peasy
      April 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Lib Dem control freaks – challenge them and this is what you get.

3. Botley Bloke
    April 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm

This is an utter disgrace. I hope Matthew takes EBC, its Exec & Leader to the cleaners.
    Sad thing is the legal case will cost us the Council Tax Payers. It should be the exec & leader! If we had an elected Mayor then he would have been accountable!!!
    This sort of behaviour reminds me of what went on in East Germany under a communist totalitarian state. Not a democratic Country that we live in.

I know lists of ‘REAL’ undesireables who abuse and insult council staff should be kept and the offenders TOLD they are on such list and to be careful, but not someone who has done nothing wrong.
    I wonder how many more innocent residents are on this list… just because EBC & the Lib Dems don’t like them.
    Interesting the Echo has not run this story yet!

• Jeff MC
      April 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Too true. It’s like living in a Stalinist one party state.

4. Matthew Myatt
    April 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I just had this message from Keith House..

“The Council has a clear policy regarding the circumstances under which people can be put on the list, the notifications that should be made to the individual concerned and their rights with regard to making representations if they feel their name should not be entered on to the list. The list is required to be reviewed periodically and in addition when new evidence has come to light.”

OMG, its this bloke dumb or what.??

The whole point is that the council IS NOT doing what he has said. THATS THE BLOODY PROBLEM MR HOUSE…!!!

5. April 27, 2011 at 10:37 pm

It would appear that the secret list has suddley dissapeared from the council’s INTRANET so it can not longer be accessed.

How Strange..!!

6. April 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm

You will never belive this. in 2008 a copy of the list was given to Eastleigh’s waste managment contrator.

Thats bin-men to you and me.!!

7. Jenni Baker
    April 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Matthew was invited to attended our school and give a talk to a group of 13-16 year olds in 2009, who were interested in photography as a study path. Matthew brought along a full display of his work together with a range of digital camera equipment to allow the children to take pictures and discuss their work with him. He was polite, friendly, funny, patient and very helpful to both children and staff alike. He even donated two digital cameras to the school for children to use as part of their studies.

I can assure you that at no time did Matthew act in a potential dangerous or violent manner but conducted himself with total kindness and professionalism at all times.

I am disgusted and ashamed of Eastleigh Borough Council and embarrassed to call Eastleigh my home if this is how it treats residents who give up their time for others.

Shame on you Eastleigh.

April 28, 2011 at 8:23 am

If I’m not mistaken one of the ‘potentially violent’ people on the secret list was also an assenter on Chris Huhne’s election nomination papers!

April 28, 2011 at 8:25 am

Come to think of it. Are there any councillors names on the list?
    Hmmm….?

• Anne Romaine
      April 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm

No, but one person on the list is a candidate for West End parish council

• Jeff MC
        April 28, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Holy Cow! Is there anyone in Eastleigh who has NOT seen this list?

• davo
          April 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm

is there anyone in eastleigh not on this list?

• April 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm

You may very well think that but I could not possibly comment, even though after checking you would appear to be correct.!!

10. easypeasy
    April 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I think Eastleigh News should compile a list of “Potentially Violent Councillors”

April 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm

So much for the Data Protection Act! But I understand there is legislation which OBLIGES Councils to keep lists of potentially violent people. If so, is Eastleigh Council not simply complying with the law?

April 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

The council have a clear duty of care towards their employees and it is quite proper for them to take steps to protect them.

But again, there seems to be a lack of transparency in the process – those on the list should have a right of redress – the right to challenge – there are clear guidelines these don’t appear to have been followed.

I must say the people I know who it seems are on this list I also know to be non violent and perfectly pleasant people – people who take an active interest in local politics but whose views conflict with those of the the powers that be.

April 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

Is it possible someone could summarize the specific parts of Data Protection law (or relevant Codes of conduct for public bodies) which the Council has breached?

13. Brian Norgate
    April 29, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Peter

The PVP list was openly discussed at an EBC scrutiny meeting which the public and press were able to attend over a year ago. The scrutiny meeting was advertised in the normal way, Councillors from all three parties attended.

An EBC officer did a presentation, if the press and public had turned up they would have learnt how the scheme evolved and what had been learnt by the officers, The Councillors asked questions and supported recommendations
    by the officers to maintain and update the PVP process. the whole PVP was openly transparent and fair.

No cases or names were discussed but the principle was and it was a robust scheme run by EBC officers independant of senior officers and Councillors

The PVP list was not shown to Councillors at the meeting but access to it was explained.

The PVP scheme met all the relevant laws and codes of practice. The PVP to my knowledge met the best practice possible and is justified.

At the end of the debate all the Councillors voted in favour of the agenda item.

The recommendations were sent to cabinet and they approved the agenda item and so did all the Councillors(present) of all three parties at the full Council(including the new independant councillors even though they were Lib dems at the time).

The PVP list had been scrutinised before at a previous scrutiny meeting and was put on the work programme for the Councillors to deal with in the future.

Keith Houses response from a larger email is correct and a fair response which all the Councillors supported at the time of the vote.

At no point would the council employees use this for political, personal or any other purpose, that is unfair to the hard working loyal staff we have, if there was any breach of duty of care I would have asked a question or raised a concern as would any of the Councillors or any of the council employees.

I have dealt with several constituents some on the list and equal treatment has been given to them. its a nonsense to describe this as a black list or someone could suffer detriment from this. Obviously we can not discuss our
    constituents cases but the PVP scheme worked well and was useful in protecting EBC employees

I know its not what people may want to hear but
    there are too many comments that are unreasonable and without foundation against EBC, some fair comments, some said without research and due diligence, that is sad and a mistake which should be apologised for.

The PVP list, I and all previous Labour Councillors have taken seriously, so have all the other Councillors, before I was elected I attended a public scrutiny meeting at EBC when it was discussed, I have attended three meetings the public could attend, so it never was a secret list hidden from the people of Eastleigh.

14. Matthew Myatt
    April 30, 2011 at 12:57 am

Peter

I know its not what people may want to hear but

• Matthew Myatt
      April 30, 2011 at 12:58 am

OK Mr Norgate,

If everything was above board and all sweet and lovely as you go too lengths to state. Why has not a single person on the list been told that they are on the list.?? Why have they NOT been given the chance to redress the list?? A rule laid down by both the DPA itself, the HSE rules and the rules from the Data Commissioners Office.

Come on Councillor, tell us.!!

• Peter Stewart
      April 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Brian. Thank you for your reply but your words do NOT remove my misgivings.

Presumably Eastleigh Council also had misgivings about this black list, which is why it called a public meeting. I trust the minutes will show these misgivings, as well as proposed safeguards to ensure those on the list would invited to appeal (as is their right I believe)?

I have nothing against a black list for Councillors’ protection but everything against a SECRET black list. That fills me with dread and creates accusations of Orwell’s “1984”, an accusation not without foundation in view of the vast number of CCTV cameras in Eastleigh. Secret Council black lists also raise the age old questions: Who judges the judges and who is watching us and why?

You say this list is not “secret” because its existence was revealed at a public meeting. I say you are in error to believe this. Not everyone on this list has been notified they are on it. Therefore by definition it is a “secret” list. Worst of all, it is secret to those most needing to know! Under these circumstances it would be entirely accurate to describe it as a “secret black list”. I also suggest that some 95% of Eastleigh residents are unaware of it however only a survey would prove this.

In addition to Mr Myatt being on this list, I am also disturbed to learn that an old political friend of mine is on this list and was completely unaware. This gentleman has worked hard for Eastleigh over many decades and to think he is secretly blacklisted as “potentially violent” is highly offensive.

I should like to know:

1) Do all Councillors have ready access to this secret blacklist?
      2) Were any Councillors aware that some of the blacklisted people had not been informed they had been blacklisted?
      3) Will ALL Councillors now STOP USING THIS SECRET BLACKLIST forthwith until they have received written confirmation from whoever is responsible, that everyone on it has been invited to appeal if they believe their listing is unjust and likely to cause undue distress?
      4) Am I on this list?

Either there has been an error committed during the course of operating such a data base (which I am sure we could all forgive since we all make mistakes) or there has been an agreement by some or all of our own functionaries (elected or otherwise) to suppress the fundamental rights of Eastleigh citizens. If there has been an error, then let it be admitted before this matter escalates and accusations of a “cover up” begin to fly.

PETER STEWART
      Chairman UKIP Eastleigh

• Peter Stewart
        April 30, 2011 at 4:08 pm

In answer to a direct question from Mr Myatt, I can confirm that if elected to office, UKIP Councillors in Eastleigh would oppose any attempt to operate a SECRET black list. As I said previously, I have nothing against black lists provided they are fair and just and operated for the protection of Councillors against truly potentially violent people. That means everyone on the list must be invited to appeal. If Councillors weigh up both sides of the argument and still decide to maintain a person on the list, then that is their responsibility. Such a list should NOT be kept of people who simply shout at Councillors.

• Matthew Myatt
          April 30, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Thank you Peter for your assurance as Chairman of the Eastleigh UKIP party.

At last a local opposition party who has the balls to stand up against injustice and breaches of residents legal and human rights.

I would just like to make it clear that I am not against a ‘BLACK LIST’ of people that are truly pose a SERIOUS risk to the council, its staff and its members.

However, this list MUST be correct, relevant, up to date, and not contain HIGHLY SENSITIVE data. Further, every person named on the list MUST be informed that they are on such and be given the chance to redress and appeal such an inclusion.

I am not asking for much, in fact these are the very rules that the UK law requires for such lists and in guidelines issued to councils by both the Health and Safety Executive and the Data Commissioners Office which Eastleigh Borough Council have failed to follow.

That is the whole crux of the problem and the sooner the council both understand this and act on it the better for everyone’s human and legal rights in Eastleigh.

What is the saying.. “Sallus Populi Superma Lex.”

15. Brian Norgate
    April 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

Mathew

I do not have the information you have, so cant comment on all these cases.

My casework as i stated everything was done correctly, complying with the legislation.

April 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thanks for the contribution Brian.

Again, no one is disputing there is an obligation on the council to maintain a list to protect the welfare of staff.
      It would seem that the regulations to manage the list have not been adhered to.
      In so far that people who on the list have not been informed the list is ‘secret’.

I do hope that any investigation will concentrate on these failings rather than the question of who leaked the list to the public – because this hasn’t happened.

What has happened is that someone,Matthew, has been made aware they are on the list by being shown a copy with his name on.

I don’t agree that is ‘nonsense’ to say the list is not a blacklist because I suspect that is exactly what it is.

Furthermore although I am not on this list (but then again how would I know?) I suspect I too may have been subjected to detrimental behaviour simply through my association with Matthew.

I would be interested to know if this list is circulated to social housing providers or forms any part in assessing potential tenants.

I also wonder why Councillors are canvassing housing estates at 7 pm while carrying copies of this list. What purpose does this serve?

I would be far happier to know that the management of this list…notifications, appeals and reviews…were undertaken by an independent body.

“I think I have asked the most questions during my time as a Councillor and attended as many meetings as i possibly could have except when i was recovering from two operations.”

I’m sure we are all grateful for your service
      on the council Brian – I bet Keith House is going to miss you!

There is, I understand, going to be an investigation into the matter – I don’t think anything further can be added to the discussion till that has taken place so I will be closing this post to new comments.

• Matthew Myatt
      April 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Yes it is VERY VERY clear that you do not have the information that I have or any idea what has gone wrong despite you comments that all is well.

As a member of the opposition in Eastleigh, I am both shocked and sad to see that rather than trying to find out the true facts and what has clearly gone wrong you are instead singing the praises of both the secret list and the Lib Dem run council.

Perhaps your are right to be stepping down from public office in Eastleigh this year.

April 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm

To make it quite clear, Councillor Norgate is not retiring but standing in Southampton Harefield.

April 30, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Well I for one will be sorry to see Brian go. He is a bulldog and once he gets his teeth into something he never lets go, which is just what Eastleigh needs.

17. Jef fMC
    May 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

OK Brian Norgate – if the list is not secret and fully justified publish it on here then.
    Why should only council workers be warned about violent people?
    The public should be as well.
    Put the names on here so I can see if my neighbour is a nutter.

18. Brian Norgate
    May 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Jeff

All Councillors casework is confidential and the constituents sign a consent form for only the Councillor to see the information, after the issue is resolved all the paperwork is returned to the constituent.

I am sure you are not asking me to break the Data protection act are you?

In a larger sense it shows how few members of the public attend EBC meetings and how many
    members of the press attend meetings, I have given many press quotes relating to the questions i have asked or reports over Wildern Mill £1 million pound loss, The Point subsidised over £250k per year for 4 years and a an overspend of 800k, The Hub overspend of 300k, the Housing associations free run of the housing stock and the Council tax, especially the allotments and rip off Parish charges but the press never ran them.

Now people are complaining about this list which is confidential but declared to the listening public and I was one of three at the meeting before I became a councillor.

What about the removal of the Travel tokens whilst in the same year EBC under spent by £400k, or the failure to install the Real-time bus information grant of £850K and EBC gave back to the Government £600k.

There is lots of things the public and press missed because they didn’t turn up or print the press releases we gave them.

Worst of all is the Rose bowl, even though i support the building and infrastructure I could never support the financial package negotiated by Keith House, there was a leak of this information used on TV but no one said anything, One day the whole story will come out then the people and the press would have wished they had turned up to more council meetings.

Sadly one of our greatest losses was the allotments holders who stood up and fought EBC
    over the loss of the allotments so developers could build on this land, I brought to the attention of the public at the scrutiny meetings EBC charged £5 per property in Eastleigh giving them an income above £170k and £16k from the rental of each rod.

I take my hat off to the leaders of the allotment holders who did so well and Diane Andrews who fought for the Travel tokens, these passionate people turned up for council meetings.

If a quarter of these events had been printed by the press you wouldn’t see the Lib Dems as
    the clean white middle class party they claim to represent, democracy may have broken out in Eastleigh.

If it wasn’t for the Eastleigh news no one would have heard about the Libs broken promise
    of the First Parking permit, their NO NEVER comments showed them in their true colours, all Labour councillors’ work.

Funny Mathew should ask me to go, if you work for the Lib Dems, sit on the polling booth for the Lib Dems, go for cups of tea at the Lib Dems councillor houses and keep them informed of events while never doing this to the Labour or Tory Party you must be a Lib dem.

• Matthew Myatt
      May 1, 2011 at 10:19 pm

O Dear O Dear…

Mr Norgate, you clearly have lost the plot and do NOT understand what is going on. Or could it be that you are covering this whole thing up…

At least my activities are confined to just drinking tea with them.!!

May 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Chris Gilkes made me a cup of tea last year.

• Matthew Myatt
      May 1, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yes and you have had a cup of tea with me as well. According to Mr Norgate that would make you a Lib Dem and a ‘Dangerous Person’ to boot.

Guilty by association.

Mr Norgate forgot to mention that we have both been to full council so does that make us members of all the parties in Eastleigh as we have been in the same room as them.

As for me sitting on a polling station for the Lib Dems, let me just ask Mr Norgate why I did this for her and what was my reply this year to her asking me to do it again.??

Come on NORGATE, tell us.!!

May 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Brian,

You say constituents sign a form to consent to information being shared about them, but this did not happen to Matthew.

Information – which he maintains is inaccurate and out-of-date – was being shared without his knowledege let alone consent

• Matthew Myatt
      May 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Do not waste your time trying to explain it to him AGAIN. He has been told so many times that he clearly does not understand anything about the DPA, HSE or DCO.

Or he is trying to cover the whole thing up by deflecting the whole thing away from the issue and on to things that he will never give any hard evidence for..

21. Andy Lombardi
    May 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Hmmmmmmm, how about a list of potentially violent, potential councillors?

Be careful where you place your X next Thursday!

Does this list fall under the auspices of the Freedom Of Information Act? If so I shall request a copy. Most strongly.

Oooooops! that’s me on the list then!

Lol.

• Matthew Myatt
      May 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

No Andy, this list is no subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

You can however use a “Subject Data Request” under the terms of the Data Protection Act to ask Richard Ward, Head of Legal at EBC, if you are on the list and see a copy of what is written about you.

Then you can a Section 10 of the Data Protection Act to demand that they stop processing your data and delete any data they hold on you. If they do not you can take them to court and have a judge order them to stop processing your data.

22. Andy Lombardi
    May 1, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Hmmmmmmm, how about a list of potentially violent, potential councillors?

Be careful where you place your X next Thursday!

Oooooops! that’s me on the list then!

Lol.

Just to put my point across:

• Matthew Myatt
      May 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Andy,

Check the names of candidates standing for parish council election in West End (South). There is one Lib Deb candidate that is on the dangerous person list..!!

May 2, 2011 at 12:01 am

Ugghhh! That cat picture is pretty gruesome. What a horrible man!

The Liars Buggers and Thieves website offers an interesting insight into the activities of those sanctimonious hypocritical self-serving troughers who think they have a god given right to lord it over the rest of us.

23. Brian Norgate
    May 1, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Andi

if there was a candidate standing for any seat such as West end parish council i am sure Mathew with his full list would tell everyone

• Matthew Myatt
      May 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Well done Brain for breaching the Data Protection Act. I can now confirm that there is one as BRAIN NORGATE has stated and revealed.

24. Brian Norgate
    May 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Mathew

here is your email which predates mine and what
    made me wonder why you breached the data protection act.

Matthew Myatt on May 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm
    Andy,

May 2, 2011 at 12:24 am

I’m closing the thread to comments for now.

We will wait to see what the investigation/inquiry comes up with.