Police investigate town centre assault

newtown road sealed off

Newtown road sealed off. Pic: Peter Wiliamson

Police have taped off Leigh road recreation ground this a morning as part of a major investigation after a 17 year-old girl was subjected to a ‘serious sexual assault’ last night.

Newtown Road was partly blocked to traffic and the former patient’s car park (now staff only) to Eastleigh Health Centre was also taped off.

Police on the scene would say nothing except to confirm an investigation was under way but a local security guard told an Eastleigh News reader that there had been what he described as a ‘gang rape’ which had started in the park in the early hours of the morning and which had continued in the Health Centre car park although this is unconfirmed.

police

Forensic officer at Health centre car park, Photo: Matthew Myatt

A police spokesman said two men from Southampton had been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Detective Inspector Dave Morgan said:

“This is an unusual and very rare occurrence for this area and I would like to stress that this is being treated as an isolated incident. We have a team of officers who are conducting the investigation and are following various lines of enquiry. An area of Leigh Road Park and part of Newtown Road has been cordoned off to allow for a thorough forensic examination.

“We would appeal for anyone who has any information about this incident, or who witnessed anyone in the Newtown Road area between midnight and 1am this morning, to contact police.”

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Eastleigh assault

Entrance to Leigh Road rec taped off this morning.Pic:PeterWilliamson

Last Friday a Newtown Road resident was beaten up by a gang of youths and another resident who came to his aid was threatened.

In a separate incident on the same day a patient parking their car outside the Newtown Health Centre was threatened by a gang of female teens outside the Newtown Road Health Centre.

A concerned local resident said:

“My neighbours were beaten up by a gang in Newtown Road last year and only a month ago 12 car windscreens were smashed in the area.

I have two young children and I am now thinking of moving.

I don’t believe Eastleigh is a safe place to live”

15 comments for “Police investigate town centre assault

1. jacob jellicoe
    August 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Detective Inspector Dave Morgan said:’This is an unusual and very rare occurrence for this area’…
    But this is not an unusual and very rare statement for the area is it? Put some bobby’s on the beat rather than sitting on your back engines back at the LOCKED police station.

2. August 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

“I have two young children and I am now thinking of moving. I don’t believe Eastleigh is a safe place to live.”

You are totally right. I have a Police insider who has moved from Eastleigh to Hedge End and they tell me that “Eastleigh has seen a 500% rise in crime in the last two years.”

“Don’t be fooled by council claims on crime or the silly statistics on the Police website that show local crime figures. It’s a fudge.!! Eastleigh has a very serious problem and it is not being tackled.”

Instead of harassing local journalists and photographers going about their business in the Borough, the Police need to get a grip on real crime.

Closing down the custody suite in Eastleigh and making the station a place for people to only answer bail or attend for taped police interviews is just crazy.

I have been told first hand that local officers tend to turn a blind eye on local crime as they do not want the hassle of having to transport an arrested person to Southampton, which ties that officer up for hours at a time when they know they will not be paid for routine overtime.

So as the other comment suggests. Reopen Eastleigh Police Station, get the officers out from behind the locked doors and get back to basic community policing.

Think about it, this attack happened less than 500 yards from the Police station in Eastleigh, so instead of Detective Inspector Dave Morgan, asking if people saw anyone in the area last night, he should be asking where the F**K were the Police last night.???

This poor girl’s attack happened right on their doorstep. There should be an inquiry as to how the Police failed this girl and how they are failing to tackle local street crime.

• peter stewart
      August 1, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Just about says it all Matthew. When I moved to Eastleigh, that police station was open ALL NIGHT! Anybody could just walk in to the reception room and ring the bell for assistance. It is appalling. But should we blame the police? Why are they under funded? Answer: Because we have been busy bailing out our Continental partners (competitors) for so many decades!

3. CCTV Madness
    August 1, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Very Well said Black Balaclava.

But hold on a minute. The recreation park in Eastleigh is covered by six CCTV cameras. Two of which are High Definition, Infra Red cameras.

Did I not read on this site that the council have spent over £800,000 on CCTV technology?

Why is Detective Inspector Dave Morgan, asking if anyone was in the area last night.??

Get off your arse as go look at the CCTV footage. Thats what you are paid for is it not. Why should the public have to do your job for you?

Sloppy and lazy police work.

August 1, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I think you are being a bit harsh BB.
    The Police I have met do take a pride in their job and don’t want to see yobs and villains running amok in the town.
    Yobs like the ones who beat up the 55 year-old Newtown Road man last week aren’t going to readily admit to their vile behaviour so much police time is wasted in getting statements from witnesses and writing them up etc.
    With the potential for much social unrest as a result of the recession, is this really the right time for the government to be cutting police numbers and resources?
    The other question I have is should we blame the Police for crime?
    What about the irresponsible shopkeepers in our community who choose to sell Super strength alcoholic energy drinks like Crunk Juce?
    What about the criminals themselves?
    Would it be a defence for them to say ‘It’s the fault of the police – they should have been there to stop me!’
    The photography thing is baffling though – you can understand them wishing to protect the privacy of victims – but hassling people taking photos of scene of crime tape and empty car parks is a bit strange.

• August 1, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I hate to say it but you have missed the point. It is the Police’s fault. Take the chap that was beaten up by a gang of alcohol crazed kids.

Why are the Police not enforcing the DPPO in Newtown. If they were they would have never been drinking there in the first place.

Why are the police not closing down local shops who sell this drink to kids, not one shop has been visited or questioned according to my Police insider.

You say “so much police time is wasted in getting statements from witnesses and writing them..” O dear, poor police officers and there was I thinking that this was part of their job.!! Silly me.

The photography thing is not baffling. It’s a total abuse of police power, PACE, and guidelines laid down by the Police Operational Handbook issued by ACPO say, and I quote ‘Section 43 and 44 of the Terrorism Act do not prohibit the taking of photographs, film, or digital images in a public place and members of the public, and the press should not be prevented from doing so in exercise of these powers. Page 697, Police Operational Handbook 2011.

August 1, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Re the witness statements I am saying if the police didn’t have to waste so much time dealing with herberts – who frankly should know how to behave themselves – then they would have more time to concentrate on being on the beat and deterring crime.

I understand that in the case where crunk juce appeared as a factor the person who bought it WAS over 18.

The police cant stop corner off licenses from selling it but I am amazed that our ‘community stores’ think its ok to sell an item which the importer admits causes ‘bad things to happen’.

Whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility?

Perhaps some of our councillors could have a word in their shell like?

5. easy peasey
    August 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Can you lot imagine what it would be like if we didn’t have Cllr Trenchard fighting crime and anti social behaviour?

• August 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Thats a good point. Where was Cllr. Trenchard when all this was going on. Why was he not there to stop it. Prehaps the draw of the PS3 was a little to strong last night.!!

6. MC
    August 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm

this is a terrible thing to happen.
    Now the warmer weather is here Eastleigh is getting a mini crime wave and right on cue the fun fair has turned up.
    It is time to pull the plug on this yob magnet. why does it have to take over the park for a whole fortnight?
    It used to be here for just a few days

7. Andy Lombardi
    August 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm

this is a terrible thing to happen.
    Now the warmer weather is here Eastleigh is getting a mini crime wave and right on cue thefun fair has turned up.
    It used to be here for just a few days

For more years than I can remember the Fun Fair has always opened on the Friday preceding carnival week. In recent times I understand that they have operated on the Thursday also, never have they, in my memory, been here for ‘a few days’.

The Fun Fair has been a draw for families over the years and the carnival week raises a lot of money for local charities.

Don’t let the evil actions of people be laid at the door of the Fun Fair and it’s operators. This attack and the growing crime wave happened before the fun fair arrived.

• August 1, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I have to agree with Andy on this point.

Whilst the price of rides have in recent years become rather expensive, I have always found the Fun Fair a great event and the operators nothing more than really nice friendly people.

I do however agree with ‘MC’ in his comments in the first two sentences of his comments.

• August 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

Re Peter’s comment about the opening of Police Stations, we have a similar situation in Hedge End. The Station is open a few hours a week, probably when there is an ‘r’ in the month. When I had occasion to phone it once, I was told “How did you get this number – the public aren’t meant to have this number”! And there was me thinking that the Police were there to deal with crime….silly me.

• MC
      August 3, 2011 at 12:20 am

Yes they open on the precceding Friday but it was Monday they arrived.
      They are always able to pack up and leave over night so do we really need them here for a fortnight?

It’s not me that says hey bring with them a crime wave every year cos its the police who told me that.

A few years ago while the fair was on I looked out my window to see a gang of chavs around my neighbours car while one of them used the bonnet as a trampoline.

When the cops arrived they told me the fair attracted yobs for miles around.

I also can’t agree with ‘THE BLACK BALACLAVA’ that the operators “are nothing more than really nice friendly people”

I have found them to be hostile, rude and surly not even attempting to make even an acknowledgement let alone offer a word of thanks.

I particularly remember one miserable girl who used to run the kiddie train. her neck would be covered in love bites and she would just stand next to you while you seated your child with her hand outstretched and a look on her face that would curdle milk.

Yuk! Horrible people!

8. maureen
    August 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Police station open or closed – does it really matter? I called at the police station one day and waited over 20 minutes – it was like a ghost ship – I left. Luckily I wasn’t being chased by a gang of evil yobs and in need of help.