Hospital fire gridlocks Winchester

fire RHCH Winchester

©eastleighnews.org.uk

Fire crews have been battling a large blaze at the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester – Eastleigh‘s nearest hospital. Regular Eastleigh News contributor Peter Williamson has sent in these photos live from the scene.

Peter was told the first fire appliance siren was heard at 3.45 and he counted 8 appliances,  about 6 ambulances and 6 police cars as currently present.

Smoke rising from MRI unit

Smoke rising from MRI unit ©eastleighnews.org.uk

It is not known if there are any casualties

The source of the fire was reported as a gas bottle storage area outside the MRI unit.

Fire crew arrive on scene

Fire crew arrive on scene ©eastleighnews.org.uk

Patients, staff and nearby residents were evacuated and Winchester soon became gridlocked in the rush hour as Romsey Road was closed to traffic.

It is understood the operation is ongoing and Police are advising drivers to avoid the area.

Photos: Peter Williamson

8 comments for “Hospital fire gridlocks Winchester

1. December 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm

That’ll probably explain the lights and sirens I saw heading north up the M3, at warp factor 8, as I was heading south from Winchester at 16:40

Fortunately I picked my route so that I didn’t go anywhere near Romsey road and wasn’t affected by this at all.

December 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Well done Pete, it was only Virgin Media deciding to crap out out just as I received your pics stopped us from scooping the lot of them.
    Next time…

December 9, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Looks like quite a blaze. Glad I wasn’t there on a Friday rush hour. This is an excellent example of the VERY BEST Fire Service in the World. From the moment that first 999 call came in to the LOCAL FIRE CONTROL ROOM (NOT some miserable EU “regional call centre” as begun by the former pro-EU Labour government) it would have taken less than 60 seconds for the first appliance to be on the road. For a fire like that, at a hospital, it would presumably have generated a special response from all over the county. It would not have taken our boys long to have got that blaze under control and no doubt all the emergency services coordinated the whole thing very efficiently. Well done to everybody concerned.

4. Andy
    December 9, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Also a brilliant response by Eastleigh News on here and Twitter in the glaring absence of mainstream reporting. Well done to your snapper!

December 9, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Thanks Andy your feedback is appreciated!
      BBC and Local papers have cut back on reporting staff to cut costs.
      They depend on members of the public with iphones to send them pics and vid from breaking stories free of charge.
      Echo was actually ordering tweeps to do that…’send us your pictures and video’ they barked- no ‘please’!!
      The gap in local reporting coverage is being filled by citizen journalist sites like this. As they are not going pay us for content we can cut out the middle man and report on it ourselves!
      I forwarded Petes pictures to a news agency – if the Nationals use the photos he will get paid.

• December 10, 2011 at 7:14 am

Well done chaps. Some excellent reporting again.

Amazing how I missed it all, despite being in the Winchester area at 4pm.

Useless – huh…?!

December 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

“you can’t do it all’ is what I always tell myself 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Well done chaps. Some excellent reporting again.

Amazing how I missed it all, despite being in the Winchester area at 4pm.

Useless – huh…?!

RAY COULD YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME. STEVE HAS MY EMAIL ADDRESS. REGARDS, PETE STEWART