Hedge End Tories get some unexpected help…

Ray (centre) and colleagues preparing leaflets

Hedge End’s Conservatives are looking for a little extra help with leafleting, before polling in the Borough Elections on May 3rd.

Although much better resourced nationally than the Lib Dems, the Conservatives do not have as large a campaign team locally as the Lib Dems, who have assembled a very effective campaign machine and made the Borough of Eastleigh and Hedge End a yellow fortress in recent years. With a couple of key players currently on holiday and various wards to cover, the Southern Parishes Conservatives find themselves stretched a little thinly this weekend, but still with a lot do.

Having decided that he was unable to stand himself this year,  Hedge End Independent and Eastleigh News contributor, Ray Turner, thus volunteered to help neighbour, colleague and former opponent Paul Redding with his leafleting for the Conservatives.

Said Ray;

When chatting to Paul at work this morning, it was clear that he needed some help. I’d seen the leaflets that he wanted to deliver, its a good leaflet, I felt comfortable with the idea of delivering them and we share the goal of wanting to reduce the Lib Dems majority in Eastleigh.  So I asked Paul if he needed a hand.  Paul was grateful for the little bit of extra help that I could offer.

Ray’s round took him to the home of the Lib Dem candidate and current leader of Hedge End Town Council, Cllr Jane Welsh, creating the bizarre situation of an Independent campaigner handing one of the Tories leaflets to the opposing Lib Dem candidate.

Said Ray;

Cllr Welsh was most surprised, perhaps even a little disappointed,  to see me leafleting for the Tories, but she’s a good sport, she appreciated the irony and we had a friendly little chat on her doorstep. I said I was helping out a colleague, neighbour and mate, I felt comfortable with this leaflet and wanted to do what I can to get Hedge Enders to turn out on Thursday.  She jokingly asked if I’d deliver some of her leaflets and I said I would if I felt comfortable with them. “

“Unfortunately, I haven’t felt comfortable with the recent Lib Dem leaflets, but it was a genuine offer. If I’m comfortable with a leaflet, I’ll help to deliver it, whoever has produced it.”

“My experience in the Shamblehurst by-election showed that leafleting is actually quite hard work. Even the Lib Dems find it tiring. One elderly Councillor looked rather weary when I bumped into him on my doorstep last night, so the more helpers there are, whichever party you feel able to help, the better.”

If you would like to help the Conservatives with their leafleting, you can contact eastleighconservatives@gmail.com or telephone 01489 786039

If you would like to help the Lib Dems with their leafleting, you can contact Cllr Welsh at Jane.Welsh@eastleigh.gov.uk

15 comments for “Hedge End Tories get some unexpected help…

1. Charlie
    April 28, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Perhaps all distributors should be independent, delivering all parties’ leaflets at the same time in the interest of balance. Better still, have one combined leaflet. That way the borough’s recycling collectors would have a great deal less work to do. I suspect the borough can only boast about its recycling rates because of the volume of Focus et al leaflets the Lib Dems produce.

• April 28, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Some very good points thanks Charlie.

Provided I am not competing in the election myself and the election material is of a high standard (like Pauls), I don’t see any problem with an independent distributor stuffing leaflets for two or more candidates through letterboxes at the same time.

I’d do it in the interests of getting the information out to the electorate and encouraging them to turn out, but I would only ever do it if I felt comfortable with the leaflets. I honestly couldn’t do it at the moment for the Lib Dems…

2. Stephen Slominski
    April 28, 2012 at 8:57 pm

An excellent idea that Ray – doubling up on leaflet deliveries.

I saw Tory Michael Read pounding Newtown on his own, it would have been nice if Simon Bancroft’s crew could have delivered a few for him and saved him a trip into Eastleigh! I know of one Ukipper who would willingly deliver leaflets for the Lib Dems too…it’s not going to happen is it?

• April 28, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Well it worked for me & Paul today, but I suspect that many of our local politicians just wouldn’t trust somebody from a different political persuasion to deliver their leaflets…

April 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm

The true irony is that the Conservative Party (so-called) ceased to exist some 40 years ago and that those who (in good faith) help it, are actually aiding and abetting nothing less than the downfall of our country.

What we see as the “Conservative Party” today is an illusion. I mean by that, if you wrap the skin of a dead sheep around a wolf, what have you got…a wolf or a sheep? Answer: A WOLF (of course)! Even a child could tell you that.

You see it does not matter what’s on the outside of a political party, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Therefore (and I CAN prove this) the thing we know as the “Conservative Party” is actually nothing more than the skin of the dead Conservative Party! What’s inside is a hideous anti-democratic beast whose sole purpose is to lie and deceive the conservative electorate into believing the Conservative Party still exists and still has as its founding principle, the upholding of the Constitution. Alas, the opposite is the case.

I repeat: What sort of politicians are they, who go around saying that we, the British people, are not fit to govern ourselves, and that we should allow (and even pay) foreigners in Europe (who have no love for this country) to do it for us? Please answer me that! What sort of politicians are they who say this? I challenge here and now, a single “conservative” politician, to give readers a straightforward answer! WHY DOES THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY ADVOCATE OUR CONTINUED ANNEXATION BY A FOREIGN POWER?

• April 28, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Well besides helping a colleague, neighbour and mate, there were tactical reasons for doing this today Peter.

I’m not standing myself so the only way we are likely to reduce the Lib Dems majority on EBC is to vote Tory.

Its anathema to me really. I lived through the Thatcher era and saw a lot of bad things happen, but I’m prepared to vote tactically if it means we can reduce the problem of the Lib Dems unhealthy stranglehold on Eastleigh and Hedge End.

Its not as though the Tories are going to win enough seats to gain control of the Council. They’re not going to be able to do any harm, but by not letting the Lib Dems have it all their own way the Tories could still do a lot of good locally.

As Eric Pickles said a couple of years ago, prior to the 2010 General Election, the idea behind tactical voting is to “Vote Tory, not be Tory”…

• Peter Stewart
        April 29, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Well actually Ray, I was not referring to you (as you will see after the elections). I was referring to nobody in particular, but everybody in general (including me) who has ever been deceived into helping promote the Party which no longer exists.

After the elections, Eastleigh may (IF enough true conservatives have the courage) go down in history as the spearhead of the true conservative revolt!

My point is that the Conservative Party DIED 38 years ago when it was persuaded by massive EU bribes, to hand over control of Britain’s political and industrial systems to foreigners in Europe.

Erich Pickles’ comment proves exactly what I am talking about, the way the Tory leadership manipulates the innocent to the Tory machinery’s ends.

4. Sam Snook
    April 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Well done Ray.
    Don’t listen to others,its great news.I hope others will wake UP and support candidates who oppose the Lib Dem dictatorship.
    Sam Snook

• April 30, 2012 at 7:21 am

Thanks Sam. I’ll be out again this evening, delivering a few more leaflets for Paul Redding. The Tories (and the Lib Dems) all know that it is tactical help rather than unqualified support.

April 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

What features would Conservative councillors offer beyond what the LibDems already do? How would Eastleigh be any different? Potential Conservative councillors are already gagged by their leaders to follow the party line. What hope is there in voting Conservative? I reiterate, that party died 38 years ago. Now its leaders (and by their refusal to disown the leadership, the rank and file candidates too) go round saying that we are not fit to govern ourselves and must let our European “partners” do it for us! Oh boy! Is it a case of out of the LibDem frying pan and into the Tory fire? I speak as a TRUE CONSERVATIVE!

• April 30, 2012 at 7:27 pm

At the Town Council level, the reason we need somebody other than a Lib Dem to be elected was perfectly illustrated by Councillor votes against his own motion and Day outnumbered again in Hedge End.

Frankly it doesn’t matter who is returned to HETC, provided they are not a Lib Dem (i.e. not under Keith House’s control), they turn-up for Council meetings and are sufficiently non-partisan to work with Cllr Day in situations like the two we have reported in those articles.

6. Jerry Hall
    April 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm

For the record, I am gagged by NO ONE! If I am elected on Thursday I will fight and vote as the PEOPLE of Hedge End want me to. Any help delivering leaflets greatly received. Jerry Hall

• Peter Stewart
      April 30, 2012 at 10:06 pm

If you are not gagged by the Tory hierarchy, then perhaps you would do me a favour by answering my question which Maria Hutchings could not (dared not) answer, namely DO YOU PERSONALLY BELIEVE BRITAIN SHOULD LEAVE THE EU?

Also I asked a question above, namely WHY DOES THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY ADVOCATE OUR CONTINUED ANNEXATION BY A FOREIGN POWER?

• May 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

LoL. That’s a good try Peter. Jerry is a local politician so I don’t think we can expect him to answer for the Conservative party, on national issues.

And I reckon he’s entitled to keep his personal opinion to himself if he wants to…

• Peter Stewart
          May 2, 2012 at 9:07 am

Ray, I’m NOT asking Jerry to speak for the Conservative Party, only for himself.