“I’ll defend our green spaces”

Stuart Jebbitt with Green Party leader Caroline Lucas MP

The Green Party are standing three candidates in the Borough Elections on May 3. Artist and Community worker Stuart Jebbitt  – a Kipling road resident – is standing in Central Ward.

The former Chelsea School of Art student wrote to Eastleigh News to explain why he contesting the seat:

I am standing in Eastleigh Central as I feel our council lacks a voice for the 70% of voters in this ward who didn’t vote last time the seat was contested.

I’m standing to give them the chance to vote for a local person (lives in, and has worked in the ward) whose loyalty will be to the town and it’s residents, and not to outside interests and vanity projects.

I have over 10 year’s professional experience as a community development worker and youth worker. In this time I have advocated for people who feel they have no voice or influence. I have chaired meetings, managed budgets, and set up many sustainable community projects. In short, I can do the job.

I am currently chairperson of a recycling charity that serves over 53,000 individuals in the region, and as well as this, I run my own business providing arts activities in care homes and day centres.

If elected I would vigorously defend our remaining green spaces and allotments and also put the interests of local businesses ahead of those of the large chains who would seek to take all the character (and their profits) out of our town.

This council is playing ‘Jenga’ with the over-development of the town, without having the infrastructure to cope with it.

Roads are already gridlocked at peak times and air quality is dropping.

Green spaces are being eaten away without any real debate.

I was present at the meeting where the Woodside Allotments were handed on a plate to developers and the protesting residents treated as a bit of a nuisance. An elderly resident who spoke very poetically, and from the heart, about the loss of the allotments was treated very disrespectfully and told curtly to ‘keep to planning matters’.

Housing waiting lists was given as the reason for the capitulation. But the inconvenient fact that only a very small percentage of the properties would be affordable properties for local people was not mentioned.

They have forgotten the community. I would represent that community and get back to the original purpose of a councilor – to talk to  and serve those people, not ones own ego.

HedgeEnd Blogger has published pieces on Hedge End Candidates:

Ukip’s Michale O’Donoghue

Tory’ Paul Redding

More posts on the Local Elections

13 comments for ““I’ll defend our green spaces”

1. Stephen Slominski
    April 26, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Ahhh! You are playing my tune there Stuart!
    If you were elected you would have a seat on ELAC and would be expected to vote on the Sainsbury’s planning application – what are your opinions on it?

• April 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm

f you have visited Portswood recently, you couldn’t have failed to notice the gigantic ugly square behemoth, that is the new Sainsburys store there. Do we really want this dumped on our Rec? It will dominate everything in sight. What on earth are EBC thinking?

This is why I think the scheme should be rejected and Sainsburys asked to scale things back….

1. The new store is inappropriately large (3 times the current floor space) for the proposed site. It will dominant the recreation ground space which is important to the health and wellbeing of local residents as a green space in the centre of town.

2. It will have an adverse effect on local businesses (such as Poppins) who are important stakeholders in our local economy and community, in contrast to a large supermarket chain who have no particular loyalty to Eastleigh town and whose profits will ultimately go elsewhere.

3. It will adversely affect the roundabout between Romsey and Twyford road which is already at saturation point and where accidents are becoming increasingly likely as people try and speed through small gaps in traffic flow. Both roads are already heavily congested at peak times and air quality will suffer as a consequence of even more traffic being targeted into one small area.

4. Part of the application is for a new restaurant which is utterly absurd considering the large number of existing restaurants and cafes within a short walk of the site.

Also….

The assertion that it will create jobs is a bogus one, as The National Planning Retail Forum published research in 1998 which calculated that every large superstore which opened was responsible for a net loss of 276 jobs elsewhere in it’s host town.

Also, unless I’ve missed it, no mention is made of what will happen to the existing employees jobs while the store is closed for the best part of a year (43 weeks).

Finally, while I am not against Sainsburys improving or smartening up their current store – the plans need to be scaled back and more in keeping with the best interests of the town. Also any intrusion into the recreation ground should be rejected, as this space should be set aside for future generations to enjoy as an important green lung in an increasingly overdeveloped town.

• Stephen Slominski
        April 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm

“what will happen to existing employees jobs while the store is closed for the best part of a year”

Sainsbury’s have said they will be redeployed to local stores — and there is no shortage of those in the area

April 26, 2012 at 8:15 pm

This is our Recreation Ground. It belongs to the people of Eastleigh. It does NOT belong to Sainsburys and it does NOT belong to the Council. The Council merely holds it in trust on our behalf.

3. April 26, 2012 at 9:18 pm

It will have an adverse effect on local businesses.
    It will adversely affect the roundabout between Romsey and Twyford road which is already at saturation point.
    Part of the application is for a new restaurant which is utterly absurd considering the large number of existing restaurants and cafes within a short walk of the site!

At last..!! You would have my vote sir. Its about time someone stood for election that had a good understanding of what IS important to local people, a new BIGGER supermarket that steals part of OUR recreation ground is not top of anyone’s list in Eastleigh, of that I can assure you, no matter what the FIB DEMS are telling us. Please vote Green in the Central Ward and give these “Back Hand, Under the Table, Money Taking Fib Dems a right kicking in the ballot box. PLEASE…!!!!!

4. Stephen Slominski
    April 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I agree the scale of the project does seem inappropriate for a small town.
    The council are only following advice form retail planning experts who say a strong anchor store is needed to stop leaking customers to Asda.
    However the plans include increased warehousing and vehicle bays (or pods) for up to 10 delivery trucks so they can run a home delivery service in a 20 mile radius.
    They will also ‘click and collect’ – folk can order their shopping online and drive in to pick it up.
    This is an aspect of Sainsbury’s business they are hoping to grow 40% according to the FT.
    Of course Click & Collect and Home Delivery will cause extra low value traffic into the town centre – these Sainsbury’s home shoppers wont be lingering in the town centre to sample the delights of our kebab shops and pizza joints.
    Sainsbury’s will also most likely want to extend their opening hours from beyond 8 pm to 11 pm to accommodate these home based customers.
    I’m sure – as with previous Sainsburys applications local residents will not want to see Sainsburys operating a late night home delivery hub and without provision for this service – which is far beyond the remit of normal supermarket –
    removed from the application then there would be no need to encroach on our recreation ground when rebuilding the store and bus station.

5. SAM SNOOK
    April 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm

If you have voted Conservative, Labour or Lib-
    Dem over the last 38years you have voted for the EU Police State, and for the abolition of your own party.
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel forced the Reform or Lisbon Treaty on us (passed by Westminster 21 January 2009 ,138 majority)
    Westminster is now Powerless, defunct and a
    puppet government.You are ruled by unelected
    EU Dictators,who will soon control the nuclear
    weapons of what use to be Britain and France.
    Britain is fifth largest economy amongst the
    world’s 200 nations.Forget elections and parties, whose leaderships are controlled by the EU.Fight the direct anti campaigns and get
    our country back before its too late.
    Local Campaigner.
    Sam Snook

• Peter Stewart
      April 28, 2012 at 7:53 am

Sam Snook has hit the nail on the head once again: If you have vote for any of the main parties then you are aiding and abetting the fruition of an EU police State.

What kind of people go round saying that we, the British people, are not fit to govern ourselves? And who in their right minds, knowing what the EU means, would aid and abet any mainstream political party which has the aim of handing the governance of OUR country to foreigners in Europe? That disgusts me! It is downright obscene.

Just as the Bible says: “If your good eye sins, gouge it out, because it’s better that a part of you should perish, rather than that your whole body going to hell”.

I say, if your right hand wants to put its X on the ballot paper next to one of the main political parties only, then cut it off or abstain, for it is better that one of the electorate is lost, rather than the whole damned country should go to the EU!

You can begin saving your country right now. Don’t vote for any party which supports our continued annexation by the EU.

April 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

Posters are politely reminded to stick to the topic as per site user T&Cs: “Spam or off-topic comments will be removed”.

7. Charlie
    April 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I am a fan of the Sainsbury’s proposal on the whole. But it does represent a challenge to the Town Centre management to find ways of harnessing any additional visitors to the town. I must admit, though, I hadn’t though about the possible traffic issues. And I would be much happier if it could be kept within the current concrete footprint.

As for Sam Snook’s thoughts, he would have more credibility if he hadn’t stood for election for those main parties in recent years.

8. Charlie
    April 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I should have added that although I am not a Green supporter, I am happy that there is a choice. I’m one of those that is unhappy with the Lib Dems (or any other party) having a monopoly on power. And from this article Stuart Jebbit seems like a quality candidate.

9. Sam Snook
    May 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm

In reply to Charlie.
    Hi Charlie, I don’t know you, so I
    can’t judge you-so how you can you
    judge me.Please let me know.
    Sam Snook

10. Sam Snook
    May 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

In reply to Charlie.
    Hi Charlie,
    Looks like your are ex Lib Dem-afraid of joing another party.
    Sam Snook