Spitfires look to bow out in style in last game in the league

Andy Forbes

Andy Forbes celebrating his 147th goal ever for Eastleigh


Ian Baird’s Spitfires were harshly denied all three points last Saturday at The Silverlake Stadium at home to Chelmsford City.

Eastleigh enjoyed much of the possession and it paid off with just seven minutes to go on the clock, Daryl McMahon sent a pinpoint cross for the oncoming Andy Forbes who headed The Spitfires into a 1-0 lead.

With very few minutes to go Michael Green who had an impressive game tripped up Ricky Modeste in the penalty box for referee Neil Hair to award a penalty, captain David Rainford back from suspension stepped up sending Jack Dovey the wrong way and to earn The Clarets a share of the points.

Eastleigh now play relegation threatened Maidenhead United away at York Road (3PM Kick Off)  where the FA have acknowledged that it is the oldest continuously used senior football ground in the world by the same club.

If the Spitfires were to win today they would send The Magpies down however they are no push overs and shown at Dover last Saturday that they can bounce back.

Barry Cogan and Michael Corcoran put Dover in front after just 36 minutes played, goals from Davante McKain and Daniel Brown shortly equalised for The Magpies which was enough to earn themselves a point.

The last time these two teams played was at The Silverlake Stadium where The Spitfires claimed all three points comfortable style.

Jamie Slabber (now at Chelmsford City) opened the scoring for the hosts with a well controlled goal which fell to him nicely after captain Tommy Jordan nodded on a free kick.

Graeme Montgomery (now at Boreham Wood) finished off a fantastic Eastleigh move to make it 2-0, the winger was left unmarked to tap in at back post after Ian Herring whipped in a pinpoint cross.

Ten minutes before the break, Slabber found himself on the score sheet again, Chris Flood rattled the woodwork with his header only to fall to Slabber to fire home his second of the game.

Daniel Brown scored for the visitors after eight minutes past the break his 30 yard shot was too powerful and precise for Jack Dovey to save, Chris Flood however had the last word on the game with a well taken goal with just seconds to go.

The last time these two teams played at York Road, The Spitfires were denied a play-off spot with a very few games to go.

Former Spitfire Will Hendry scored the only of the game with a well taken header which saw Eastleigh have a missed opportunity in the league last season.

In other news, the Hampshire Senior Cup Final  between Eastleigh and AFC Totton played at St Mary’s Stadium on the 16th May will be the first ever match testing goal line technology.

A FIFA statement said.

“Only the EMPA observer in the stadium will have access to the goalline technology (GLT) system readings, and the system will NOT be utilised by the match officials.”

This means none of the match officials will be able to view the goal line technology as Hampshire based Hawk-Eye are only testing their product  on the match, the FA also released some information on the matter.

“The FA has been a leading proponent of goal-line technology for many years and has continued to press for its introduction once further independent testing is complete later this year, so that anyone wishing to introduce the technology is able to do so at the earliest possible opportunity.”

This is good news for The Spitfires as they will play a  part of history for years to come and with this decision being made, the crowd is set to be a bigger one than last year.

Today’s game however is going to be a great game so come on down to York Road and roar on those Spitfires in their last game of the league


Photo by Tony Smith

For match tweets and info follow eastleighfc

Follow Kieran James for articles on Eastleigh FC Follow @KieranJames1995