Eastleigh win the Hampshire Senior Cup for the first time in history!

Hampshire Cuo

A jubilant Eastleigh team celebrating club history


Assistant manager Shaun Wilkinson sent out very strong team in the Hampshire Senior Cup Final at St Mary’s Stadium last night to overcome AFC Totton and denying The Stags a third straight Hampshire Senior Cup win as manager Ian Baird was waiting eagerly for the result in Hong Kong in the early hours of the morning.

The Spitfires opened the half with the majority of possession and the dominance soon paid off just after ten minutes when midfielder Daryl McMahon sent a looping pass to man of the match Mitchell Nelson who set up transfer listed Chris Flood who slided in superbly to put Eastleigh 1-0 up, much to the joy of the Eastleigh fans.


Chris 2

Chris Flood sliding into score Eastleigh's first

Chris Flood1

Chris Flood celebrating his goal with the rest of the team

Daryl McMahon sent a thirty yard free kick at goalkeeper Grant Porter who spilt the ball in the path of Gary Elphick however the former Havant & Waterlooville centre back send a free header inches over the bar.

The Stags only had one real clear cut chance in the first half, Johnathan Davies broke away on a counter attack and sent a ball to Nathaniel Sherbourne who sent his shot just wide of the goal past Gareth Barfoot which left Eastleigh going into the second half with a one goal lead.


One of the 14 Hawk-Eye cameras at St Mary's Stadium

Minutes into the second half and frustration showed on The Stags faces, left back Michael Green tackled  Ryan Hill, only for Hill to get Green in what looked like a headlock however referee Colin Lymer shown a yellow card to each player.

The Stags were on top and James Coutts had an ideal chance of equalising only for his shot being scuffed into the hands of Gareth Barfoot, moments later Barfoot was in action again this pulling off a fantastic double save from Johnathan Davies.

Daryl McMahon sent a fantastic volley into the hands of Grant Porter who parred the midfielders shot for the second time of the night, this time the ball fell to Chris Flood who just couldn’t get his shot on target.

Moments later Flood soon made up for his miss and made a pacey run down the left wing to place a ball in the path of Mitchell Nelson who bundled the ball over the line much to the delight of the jubilant Eastleigh supporters.


Mitchell Nelson 2

Mitchell Nelson bundles in the ball to put Eastleigh 2-0 up

Mitchell Nelson1

Eastleigh players celebrating Mitchell Nelson's goal and The Spitfires second

In stoppage time Jamie Brown nearly capped of a fantastic career at Eastleigh Football Club with a goal however it just wasn’t to be however The Spitfires won the cup and Richard Gillespie and Scott Rogers all finished their spells with Eastleigh in superb winning fashion!

Hampshire Cup Final 2

Jubilant Eastleigh supporters, showing their appreciation for the team


Tommy Jordan

Captain Tommy Jordan holding the cup with his defensive team mate Gary Elphick

Look out on EastleighNews for new signings and news from Eastleigh Football Club running up to the start of the season!


Photos by Paul Paxford and Andy Nunn

For match tweets and info follow eastleighfc

Follow Kieran James for articles on Eastleigh FC Follow @KieranJames1995

Match highlights of Eastleigh’s historic win at St Mary’s Stadium


Match photos of the game


  3 comments for “Eastleigh win the Hampshire Senior Cup for the first time in history!

Comments are closed.