EDP complain to police over antifa leaflet

UAF leaflet

Leaflets attacking the English Democrat party have been distributed in the Hiltingbury wards where two EDP candidates are standing in the Borough election.

The leaflets bear the logo of the Southampton branch of Unite against Fascism – an organisation supported by broad range of politicians and Trades Unionists whose stated aim is to counter  ‘the rise of far right and fascist organisations, in particular the British National Party (BNP)’.

The ‘antifa’ group is noted for their high profile public demonstrations against the BNP.

The leaflets claim that a ‘large number’ of EDP’s 90 candidates standing in this years local elections are former BNP members although it only names two of them – EDP candidates who are standing in Leeds and Epping Forest.

Both the EDP candidates standing in Eastleigh, John Edwards – a former Labour Councillor and Mark Lancaster a retired Police Officer, deny that they are former BNP members or fascists and describe the allegations as “slanderous and outright lies”.

They say they suspect the leaflets may have been distributed with the help of political rivals in an attempt to discredit them before Thursdays poll.

Mr Edwards who is Chairman of the Hampshire and Eastleigh branch of the party said:

“The attack on The English Democrats and its two candidates standing in the Eastleigh Borough Council elections, accusing them of being members of a fascist party, is without foundation.

The organisation, Unite Against Fascism (UAF) has been attacking The English Democrats through a leaflet campaign which led the party to make a formal complaint to Hampshire Police with regard to misleading statements that may contravene the Representation of the People Act, Section 106”

The English Democrat Party national manifesto calls for an elected English Parliament, EU withdrawal and ‘an end to mass immigration’ through the introduction of a points based system.

Eastleigh News has contacted Southampton UAF for a comment but has not yet received a response.

John Edwards Local Election address here

UAF website

see also

Ex National Front target Chris Huhne

More posts on the Local Elections

Custom Search

9 comments for “EDP complain to police over antifa leaflet

1. May 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm

There appears to be a groundswell of support since this disgraceful leaflet has been distributed.

From discussions held and comments made, people have treated the leaflet as trash and thrown it away in disgust. That anyone should attempt to peddle such material is scandalous.

One couple said to me tonight, why dont these peiople stand against you if they have something to say? A good question indeed.

The general message tonight for me was, good luck.

Thanks to all for your continued support.

2. George Saint
    May 3, 2012 at 8:37 am

Why is it that anything with the word ENGLISH in the title is deemed as racist? We have the Scottish and Welsh Nationalists but no-one condemns them. Ireland has its own way of expressing nationalism. However, the support of the national flag over hear is seen as unpalatable. This could be seen as racism against the English, which is how it is beginning to come across.

3. maureen
    May 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

Mr. Edwards commmented on this website in a much more “relaxed” way on the article about LibDem lies and Thornber’s reaction. Now it’s his party under attack he seems much more outraged. Is this Nimbyism?

• May 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Its nothing to do with nimbyism. If the Conservatives can complain about the Lib Dems then surely another party who also feels misrepresented can also complain.

I dont think that the Conservatives have the monopoloy on being misrepresented in this election as such comments suggest.

Am I outraged? No just dissapointed. You can be sure that I will be back playing my part in the democratic process.

• May 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Commiserations on your election result John, but well done for standing.

Its intersting that the Mayoral referendums largely rejected the idea of elected Mayors. Citizens clearly want fewer politicians and bureaucrats, not more…

Might you have done better if the English Democrats weren’t obsessed with that English Parliament idea…?

• May 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm

If you look at the material I put out in this election and the period before, you’ll see that I have always concentrated mainly on local issues with some mention of national matters. Couple that with the fact that I have been working on local matters within the ward, then I have to say no.

Its interesting to note that Doncaster voted to retain their English Democrat mayor after a lively NO campaign from Labour. Its mainly Labour ares that have rejected elected mayors because they do not want to have power taken away from them.

But then that is democracy in action.

May 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm

It is surely NOT libellous to assert that somebody is a member of a lawful political party.

The only people who stand to lose by the EDP are the Tories. However it would be illogical to suggest they would attack the EDP, when a genuinely big threat to them exists, namely UKIP.

No! I think the source of the leaflets is indeed Unite. I can’t imagine the Tories or their helpers would have put such leaflets around. Leafleting is such a long winded job around there, and Tory activists are pretty thin on the ground.

May 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I don’t think John has accused the Conservatives, he said:

It’s possible that ‘political rivals’ could have got hold of UAF leaflets and distributed them or encouraged them to be distributed as the candidates suspect. But ths is not illegal in itself unless the leaflets are illegal.

• Peter Stewart
        May 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Well I was being uncharacteristically kind to the Tories.

In their pre-emptive defence I thought I myself had better speak for them, as they are gagged by their superiors and unable to speak for themselves.

For those who don’t know what I mean, I have asked the Tories to answer me two simple questions:
        1) Do you personally believe Britain should leave the EU and
        2) Why is the Tory party supporting our continued annexation by a foreign power?

So far absolute silence (except for one kindly soul [Ray Turner] who spoke on their behalf).