Smoke Alarms save Bungalow

Hampshire Fire & Rescue LogoFire crews from Eastleigh, Botley and St Marys Fire Stations attended a fire at a property in Windsor Court, Bishopstoke just before 10am this morning, Wednesday 10 July.

The property had previously been fitted with smoke detectors, by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) during a Home Safety Visit. Although the occupier was not at home at the time of the alarm, a next door neighbour heard it sounding.

Fortunately the neighbour had a key to the property and after establishing that the owner was not at home, immediately dialled 999.

Firefighters arrived to find the bungalow heavily smoke logged. Fortunately the fire, thought to be caused by an electrical fault, was confined to a microwave.

Station Manager Malcolm Freemantle who attended the incident said:

“The working smoke alarm, installed by HFRS was instrumental in providing an early warning to the fire. Without this the fire could have been far more serious and potentially spread to a further three terraced bungalows. ”

“I would encourage everyone to have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of their home, testing it weekly. As this incident shows it could easily save your property and more importantly your life”.

A total of 13 firefighters attended this incident.

Following removal of the microwave, they used positive pressure ventilation to clear the smoke from the property.

Ray Turner

Formerly a Civil-Servant and IT Specialist at ONS, Ray is now semi-retired and spare-time self-employed. He contributes to Eastleigh News on a voluntary basis and is also an administrator for the site. 

Tags: