Chandler’s Ford OAP aged 97 is robbed

Suspect

A 97 year- old partially sighted man has been robbed while collecting his pension in Chandler’s Ford.

Police at Eastleigh are seeking witnesses who might be able to identify a woman police suspect may have taken  the man’s wallet after he collected his pension at the post office in the Fryern Arcade, Chandler’s Ford.

At about 12.15 pm today  (Thursday, September 26) the man was resting against railings at Boots in the Arcade.  A woman asked him for the time.  When he looked at his watch, police say the woman stole his wallet from the man’s jacket pocket.

The victim is 97 and partially-sighted.  His wallet contained about £450.  He returned to the post office, where staff alerted police.

The woman police wish to speak to is described as of Asian or Eastern European appearance with black hair swept into a bun.  She is thin and about 5ft 4-6ins tall.  She wore a three-quarter length camel-coloured jacket, faded jeans and trainers.  She had a white scarf around her neck and, as she walked away, put on a white hat.

Police want to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or who saw a woman in the Chandler’s Ford area who matches the description.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Targeted Patrol Team at Eastleigh on 101.

16 comments for “Chandler’s Ford OAP aged 97 is robbed

1. Richard
    September 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm

God dammit, what despicable orge would do such a thing. I hope the chap is well looked after and recovering from this ordeal

2. John Renard
    September 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm

“The woman is described as of . . . Eastern European appearance . . . ”

And if I pass any further comment, I will be damned as ‘racist’!

Thus is stifled debate on one of the most important issues facing the UK.

• Kevin
      September 28, 2013 at 11:17 am

Absolutely. We have brought in most of the crime that we now face, pickpocket gangs, sex trade, religious fundamentalist gangs, street gangs, knifings, gun crime, current housing crisis and traffic problems. Most of it was introduced via this country’s ridiculous immigration laws. I am not racist, but it is difficult not to be when so many people come here and the vast majority do not integrate, learn the language, respect our culture and laws and expect us to change and adapt to theirs. I am all for allowing victims of war torn countries, temporary asylum and anyone else MUST be deemed to benefit this country before they are allowed citizenship. We are a small island and politicians are so scared of the race card, that they have allowed way too many people to move here and we are now starting to reap the ‘rewards’.

3. September 27, 2013 at 10:18 am

Disgusting some people have no shame,very worrying as I have my pop living up there he’s disabled as well…hope they catch this woman Asa my thoughts are with that poor man worked all his life and been through world wars so does not deserve this respect and justice is deserving !!!!!

4. adam swift
    September 27, 2013 at 11:02 am

Show a good quality picture and could possibly help

September 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm

That’s a cctv still – the police will have sent out the best shot they had

5. Gary
    September 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I hope the woman responsible suffers ill health for the rest of her miserable life

6. September 27, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Shut the borders .scum

7. Donna
    September 28, 2013 at 9:17 am

To many low life’s in my opinion ….I mean who would do that poor old guy pension people should give him his money again ……

8. Pete Stewart
    September 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm

None of the eastern European friends I know would carry out such a despicable crime.

For the sake of statistical accuracy, does anyone know the proportions of various crimes carried out in Eastleigh by Brits as opposed to eastern Europeans?

Also should we bring back the birch for such crimes?

9. September 30, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Is there a fund where local GOOD people can leave a donation to show our support for this chap. I am, like many Eastleigh folk, are shocked at this heartless and despicable crime towards an innocent member of our community.

Would be nice if one of the local supermarkets ensures he has food to help him out over the coming weeks.

“Every little helps.!!”

• Pete STewart
      September 30, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Damned good idea Matthew!

I’ve just spoken to Andy Moore and he would be honoured to act as treasurer. He is a Trustee for the Nepalese Ghurkas in Eastleigh.

Andy has specified that all donations would have to be by cheque and made payable to the gentleman in question and sent to:

Cllr Andy Moore,
      c/o Hampshire County Council
      The Castle
      Winchester
      Hampshire
      SO23 8UJ

Obviously we would need to know the name of the gentleman and Andy has said he wants to keep this non-political. Anyway Andy’s offer is there. As it’s your idea Matt, what do you think?

10. September 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm

That sounds like a good idea to me and I ‘d certainly send in a donation. If Andy contacts Eastleigh police I’m sure they could help with confidential details. We’d promote it on here and I’m sure if Andy contacted the Echo they would do so as well.

11. Pete Stewart
    October 1, 2013 at 8:11 am

Andy will organize it today.

To protect the anonymity of the pensioner, his name will not be publicized.

Watch this space on Eastleigh News for further details today.

Once again, well done Matt. It was a very noble idea.

12. Kevin
    October 2, 2013 at 10:42 am

I live overseas and would like to make a donation. Can I get Andy Moore’s email address so I can arrange something. Kevin in Australia

13. Pete Stewart
    October 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hi Kevin,

Good to hear from you down under!
    Here’s a link to Cllr Andy Moore’s page on the Hampshire County Council website:

Cheers,