Hedge End councillor resigns

Cllr Jenny Hughes

Jenny Hughes the Hedge End Liberal Democrat Councillor has resigned both her borough and town council seat.

Cllr Hughes co-represented Wildern ward (along with Council Leader Keith House) and Shamblehurst ward on Hedge End Town Council.

Last April Cllr Peter Hughes – Jenny Hughes’s partner and Lib Dem- stood down for unspecified reasons having first turned independent.

Over the course of the last 12 months Cllr Jenny Hughes only attended four out of the last fifteen council meetings she was scheduled to appear at.

As the two vacancies have fallen so close to May local elections there is no need to call a by-election and Hedge End Town Council has already issued a notice of a casual vacancy which will enable the council to select and co-opt a new member.

It is not known if any of the local political parties are thinking of forcing a borough by-election but a Ukip source told Eastleigh News the option was under consideration.

27 comments for “Hedge End councillor resigns

1. December 3, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Great timing as always, from the Lib Dem controlled Council, as it means they can manage who is co-opted to fill the vacancy without the risk of a by-election and the campaigning against them.

One has to ask why Cllr Hughes didn’t resign sooner…?

• December 3, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I see that Hedge End’s notice is dated 2nd December and they have to wait 14 days before they can co-opt somebody, however, weekends, Bank Holidays etc are disregarded and don’t count towards that 14 days.

By my reckoning, that means the 14 day period expires at midnight on 22nd December.

So Hedge End Town Council cannot co-opt somebody at the next Full Council meeting on 17th December. I guess it will be done at the meeting on 21st January instead…?

Is there any point in anybody from the Labour, UKIP, Conservatives or an Independent putting themselves forward..? With a 19 -1 majority, it is obvious how the Full Council is going to vote. The Lib Dems are very partisan when it comes to this kind of thing. They seem to hate everybody who is not a Lib Dem and don’t value other ideas or other ways of doing things on the Town Council…

The only good thing here is that whoever gets the job will only have 3 months before all the Town Council seats are contested. The way things are shaping up, they might not be a Councillor for very long…

2. December 3, 2014 at 6:55 pm

because it was managed Mr Worzel. It is politics after all.

• December 3, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Be as good as you can for as long as you can ! I am no fan of UKIP, but what a opening !

3. December 3, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I still see the reluctance to cover the whole story as a local journalistic favour !

4. December 3, 2014 at 7:55 pm

The biggest story to hit the news in Eastleigh since the visit from Mr Farage, and it is ignored, until the next visit from Mr Farage.

5. December 3, 2014 at 8:17 pm

take the heat off housey ?
    or is she the other other woman ?

• December 3, 2014 at 8:46 pm

You are writing your own headlines there !

• December 3, 2014 at 9:52 pm

No Rigel. My understanding is that this latest resignation is completely unconnected to the other story about Cllr House, which has broken this week.

December 3, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I understand resignation is for private unstated personal reasons. Cllr Peter Hughes would not respond to requests for information last year.

• Eastleigh voter
      December 3, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Out of Order!

6. Lock-Up-Your-Wifes
    December 3, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Will anyone miss her? Well given her lack of attendance at meetings I think her resignation will have only caused people to think who the hell was she.!!

December 3, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I can’t actually remember having heard her speak at a meeting…

• Lock-Up-Your-Wifes
        December 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Perhaps Mr House could inform us if she was any good.? As a Councillor I mean Keith. 😉

• December 4, 2014 at 1:51 pm

That’s a bit unfair Stephen as you don’t come to town council meetings, even less town council committee meetings. So you have no idea what contribution Jenny made at the majority of meetings she attended as a councillor.

Jenny was my ward borough councillor and always responded promptly when I took concerns to her.

As to why the announcement of her resignation was delayed, I may have the answer:

December 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Well its good to hear she was engaged on TC but can’t recall any meaningful contribution at full council.

Thanks for link

7. December 4, 2014 at 12:29 pm

News story “Under fire councillor hits back at critics” has no comment section, however it is written very respectfully.

December 4, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I would say it’s written very carefully.

• December 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm

For good reason I’m sure.

December 4, 2014 at 2:20 pm

• December 4, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I think it is best left closed to comments myself.

Anyone who knows my name is fully aware that I have no love for the FibDems in Eastleigh or nationally. However, it is very clear from recent press coverage that Ms Bloom is being hung-out to dry in an attempt to get the focus away from others connected with the story.

A truly despicable act by a very manipulative person, whose name needs no mention. (IMO)

I wish Louise and her family, the very best for the future whatever she decides to do and also wish her best wishes for her operation and recovery.

I think she has conducted herself with honor and dignity over this whole awful love triangle mess, which was not her making and I hope that we can all see who the real villain is here.

Yes, I have taken my medication and all is well..!!

• December 9, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Maybe she’ll take a leaf out of Mrs Huhnes book of career ending revenge – I’d be worried if it we’re me – Hell hath no fury and all that…who knows what skeletons might yet come out…

• December 10, 2014 at 8:27 am

not if Eastleigh is the Lib Dems potemkin village, with the general election coming up – there will be some national interest keeping those skeletons in.
          so help get them out

8. Bah Humbug
    December 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Don’t think this Councillor Hughes will be missed. She and her husband cost the Easleigh Borough tax payers a lot of money but they were both ineffective and uncommitted, locally and at Borough level. Take a look at their attendance at meetings and lack of input.

9. Sam
    December 18, 2014 at 6:38 pm

“I agree Matthew”

10. Sam
    December 18, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Nigel Farage has claimed he spent almost £60,000 in “missing” allowances on campaigning to leave the European Union, in a
    apparent breach of EU rules.The UIKP leader has come under
    pressure after the “Times” revealed that he spent almost £60,000
    on upkeep for a constituency office provided by supporters rent
    free. The sum does not include expenditure on office equipment
    stationery, staff salaries or, phone bills. Mr Farage has failed to fully explain how he, spent the money. Nigel Farage is battling to contain
    a series of scandals which have hit UKIP over the past few weeks.