Spitfires earn late point at home to Wrexham

James Constable netted a  late equaliser for Eastleigh on Tuesday (photo by Tony Smith)

James Constable netted a late equaliser for Eastleigh on Tuesday (photo by Tony Smith)

Eastleigh will look to get back to winning ways on Saturday as they failed to beat Wrexham at home during midweek in an entertaining encounter.

The Spitfires couldn’t quite achieve all three points on Tuesday at the Silverlake Stadium as their mid-table opposition managed  to score two goals in the first half despite Eastleigh taking the early lead.

Ben Strevens opened the scoring for Richard Hill’s men after Harry Pell went down in the box and the former Barnet midfielder scored his second penalty in two games to put the promotion candidates in front.

However as little as a minute the Wrexham equalised through Louis Malt with an unstoppable strike past goalkeeper Ross Flitney.

With ten minutes to go in the first half it was the away side that took the lead before the break as Neil Ashton smashed in a forceful volley that gave the Welsh side the advantage.

Eastleigh managed to find a late equaliser with just five minutes left on the clock as James Constable received a quick free kick off guard and the Spitfires top goal scorer this season made no mistake with the finish.

The match finished 2-2 with the Spitfires now only two points behind that all important fifth spot with yet still a game in hand to come.

Hill’s men now travel to high flying Grimsby Town who currently sit in fourth in the Vanarama Conference two places above the Spitfires.

Paul Hurst’s Mariners are unbeaten in five league games following a 2-2 draw away to Chester last Saturday.

Despite going 2-0 up through Ollie Palmer early in the first half and Jon-Paul Pitman after the break Grimsby managed to let a two goal deficit slip late on that cost them two vital points towards the title race.

Eastleigh would like to seek revenge after the two sides met back in January where Grimsby were on top that day with a narrow 1-0 win with Palmer scoring the only goal of the game.