Eastleigh defeated at home

Eastleigh's manager Martin Allen looks on with disappointment

Eastleigh’s manager Martin Allen looks on with disappointment

Eastleigh failed to get a point at home to Braintree tonight as Martin Allen’s were defeated 2-0.

A new look Eastleigh, that came out to Spitfires air raid, siren aimed to get back to winning ways at home to Braintree Town tonight as they kicked off the opposite end to usual. Former left back and free agent Michael Green was in the stands as a spectator as he took time to speak to fans. Another former Spitfire Jack Midson started for Braintree tonight for the visitors in front of 1,702 spectators. It took almost 30 seconds before the visitors nearly got on the scoresheet however a low ball missed narrowly and caused no trouble for Eastleigh keeper Graham Stack. The Spitfires did win a corner shortly after however but it came to nothing. Braintree won a free kick that was nearly met by Immuanel Parry however it ran on for a goal kick. Eastleigh were beginning to string a few passes together and looked threatening when attacking. However it was Braintree that got a corner after nine minutes, despite that, it didn’t worry the Eastleigh defence. Braintree’s Reece Hall-Johnson had a golden chance to take his side in front however the forward scuffed his shot following a good pass. It was a fairly even game for the first 15 or so minutes with both teams having half chances at each end. The visitors’ Kyron Farrell had a chance go missing after a decent break away however the midfielder couldn’t keep his shot down. A dangerous long throw resulted with the ball in the net for Eastleigh, with Ben Strevens tapping it in, after 20 minutes however the referee awarded a free kick for offside the other way. An unmarked Michael Cheek however opened the scoring for Braintree, with a powerful header to find the net after 27 minutes. The Spitfires came close with a header by Adam Dugdale moments later to equalise however he couldn’t quite take his chance. Defender Reda Johnson came off after a half hour and was replaced by Ayo Obileye. Following a corner down the other end, Eastleigh broke away with the pacey Scott Wilson however Strevens couldn’t beat the visitors keeper following a pass. Stack made a double save late on the first half as the Spitfires went in to half time with a goal behind.

Ben Close was replaced by James Constable five minutes into the second half as Eastleigh began to look dangerous again. And Constable done well to get a shot away moments later however it was saved well. It went a bit quiet in the second half with very few chances either half. Another long throw was rifled into the box as Eastleigh’s Wilson failed to find the target with a hook like shot. A free kick was awarded on the edge of the box for Eastleigh with 20 minutes to go and it was headed wide as Braintree looked to try and hold on to their one goal lead. Braintree then made it even more secure with a fantastic volley by Cheek who grabbed himself a brace on the night with less than 20 minutes on the clock.

Eastleigh tried to respond with back to back corners moments later but they came to nothing. Constable had a half chance to half of the deficit but he scuffed his shot which was almost the story of Eastleigh’s night. It wasn’t to be for Eastleigh as they are yet to win once again. They take on high flying Tranmere Rovers at home on Saturday.