Eastleigh’s fine form comes to an end at Home to Boreham Wood

Eastleigh’s run of good form came to an end today as Andy Hessenthaler’s men lost 2-0 at home to Boreham Wood in front of 1,751 spectators. Former Spitfire Jamie Turley returned to The Silverlake Stadium as he looked to keep his former team quiet in defense. It was a slow opening five minutes with Angelo Balanta having his shot blocked for the visitors.
Eastleigh won a free kick on the edge of the box after eight minutes Sam Matthews stepped with a great curling effort but Grant Smith made the save for Boreham Wood.
There was no real clear chance in the opening 20 minutes with a few offside decisions no going Eastleigh’s way.
Ryan Broom did well on the right-hand side for Eastleigh but his cross was not good enough.
Bruno Andrade shot at Eastleigh keeper Graham Stack after 25 minutes which was Boreham Wood’s first real chance.
Chris Zebroski won a corner for Eastleigh when a fierce shot got deflected but the resulting corner resulted in a free kick the other way.
Andrade then won a corner for Boreham Wood when his free kick got headed out but it came to nothing.
Eastleigh were beginning to attack as Broom whipped in a great ball for Ben Williamson but his header only found the side netting.
The rain was starting to bucket down conditions was not great with a few misplaced passes.
Eastleigh got let off when Balanta first a close-range effort for a throw in. Andrade had a header then just before the break saved for Boreham Wood but it remained goalless in the first half.
Eastleigh kicked off the second half as they looked to break the solid Boreham Wood defense. A long ball found Andrade as Stack came out of his area and Eastleigh’s keeper done just enough to concede for a corner.
Broom started to look dangerous for Eastleigh but his shot was too tame to cause any problems for Boreham Wood.
Sam Wood did well down the left flank and his low ball nearly found Zebroski but Smith enough to put the striker off.
Williamson then had his powerful header palmed away by Smith as Eastleigh were beginning to be on top. However, against the run of play, second half substitute Morgan Ferrier, who just re-signed for the club for a club record fee from Dagenham and Redbridge, opened the scoring for Boreham Wood with a powerful strike just before the hour mark.
Balanta then nearly doubled the visitors’ lead but his header was just wide.
On the 65th minute, Eastleigh’s Ryan Cresswell then conceded a penalty Andrade made no mistake with the strike from the spot to double Boreham Wood’s lead. Andrew Boyce was then replaced by Mark Yeates as Eastleigh looked to salvage something out of the match.
James Constable then came on for Zebroski as The Spitfires had 20 minutes to turn the game around.
Boreham Wood continued to attack but Eastleigh did win a corner on 80 minutes as Cavaghn Mikey got replaced by Ayo Obileye.  The corner came to nothing however Broom had a speculative effort go over.
Andrade nearly made it 3-0 after a good run but Stack was on hand to deny him.
Turley was denied late on also on his return to the stadium but Stack made sure he didn’t score against his former club. Smith was on fine form for Boreham Wood and deserved his clean sheet has he withheld a lot of Eastleigh’s pressure in the dying minutes. Four minutes added time was added and the visitors managed to hold out for all three points leaving Eastleigh’s fine form damaged.