Cresswell secures point in 1-1 draw at home to Wrexham

Ryan Cresswell scored Eastleigh’s equaliser

Andy Hessenthaler Spitfires drew 1-1 at the n front of 1765 spectators as Ryan Cresswell scored a last minute goal to secure Eastleigh a share of the points.

It took less than a minute before Eastleigh troubled Wrexham’s keeper Chris Dunn, as Ryan Broom tried his luck from distance that was deflected and pushed out for a corner. The resulting corner fell for Broom however his second effort went well wide.

Wrexham fought back however and won a corner five minutes later but it came to nothing and went out for a goal kick. Broom then had another effort blocked as he cut in from the right wing, the build up was promising from Sam Matthews and Mark Yeates who linked up well.

Chris Zebroski then came close to opening the scoring after a mix up from the Wrexham defense but Dunn was on hand to keep him out.

With a couple of stoppages for injuries, the game started to slow down as it approached 15 minutes played.

Wrexham’s striker Chris Holroyd had to come off shortly after for Simon Ainge. Scott Quigley was then brought down in the box for Wrexham and the referee awarded a penalty. Quigley stood up and slotted it away to put Wrexham 1-0 up against the run of play just before the 20 minute mark.

Wrexham were starting to press as Marcus Kelly whipped in a balk but Eastleigh’s Graham Stack was on hand to keep him out

Matthews came close for Eastleigh moments later but his shot got blocked into the hands of Dunn.

Sam Wood and Matthews then tried to counter attack but it came to nothing.

Left back James Jennings started to look dangerous for Wrexham as he just couldn’t find a team mate with a low cross.

The game started to quiet down a little as the match edged closer to half time.

Paul McCallum came closest for Eastleigh after 40 minutes as his original header was parred away from Dunn and the striker miss the follow up header.

The Spitfire’s then won back to back corners however the Wrexham defense looked solid.

There was eight minutes stoppage time awarded as Eastleigh tried to press for an equaliser.

It was Wrexham however who started to press for another and despite two corners coming to nothing, it finished 1-0 Wrexham going into the break.

Long time Eastleigh fan Mary Finalayson, who sadly passed away last night, was remembered half time with a picture of her and former manager Richard Hill and there was a one minute clap at half time.

Eastleigh won a corner after 55 minutes, Paul McCallum headed on target from close range but Dunn managed to deny him.

Sam Togwell came off for Ben Williamson as Eastleigh looked to increase their attacking options.

Andrew Boyce got a second yellow just before the 70th minute as it looked more and more less likely Eastleigh would get an equaliser.

Credit to Eastleigh however, they won a corner moments later however it came to nothing. Reda Johnson then replaced Zebroski with less than 20 minutes left to try and fill in for Boyce.

Broom made a great run down the right wing to find Williamson for Eastleigh but his header was saved. McCallum then came close with a header and it resulted in back to back corners as Eastleigh were beginning to show some spirit.
Cresswell came up from centre back to whip in a ball to try and increase Eastleigh’s options but it came to nothing.

With little over a minute left, Eastleigh really pushed for an equaliser however they couldn’t quite beat Dunn.

Eastleigh won a corner in the closing minutes as they brought everyone up including goalkeeper Stack and Cresswell bundled the ball in to equalise in stoppage time with Stack helping in the build up. The match finished 1-1 with Eastleigh showing true character.