Service restored following derailment but only trains headed to London will be calling at Eastleigh.
South Western Railway have announced there will be a partial resumption of services Monday morning at Eastleigh as a result of the weekend’s temporary repairs to the railway but not all services will be able to call at the station and delays are expected to continue for several weeks.Six 52 tonne freight wagons jumped the tracks last Tuesday blocking the main line in both directions.The derailment damaged the track and points.
SWR say that any train that heads towards Southampton from the Basingstoke direction will not be able to call at Eastleigh. Trains will be able to call at Eastleigh in the London bound direction from Southampton only.
Passengers travelling to Eastleigh from the London / Basingstoke / Winchester direction will need to travel on a Portsmouth Harbour / Portsmouth and Southsea via Basingstoke service or alternatively to Southampton Airport Parkway and return back on a northbound service.
Passengers at Eastleigh wishing travel toward Southampton/Bournemouth/Weymouth should travel to Winchester before using a Southbound service.
Trains from Romsey to Salisbury via Chandlers Ford will be unable to call at Eastleigh as well as services from Waterloo to Poole.
Replacement buses will be laid on as follows:
- Basingstoke to Southampton Central. Calling at: Micheldever, Winchester, Shawford, Eastleigh and Southampton Airport Parkway. (2 per hour)
- Basingstoke to Southampton Central. Calling at Winchester and Eastleigh (4 per hour)
- Eastleigh to Fareham. Calling at: Hedge end and Botley (2 per hour)
- Romsey to Southampton Central. Calling at Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, Southampton Airport Parkway, Swaythling and St Denys. (1 per hour)
- Southampton Central to Basingstoke. Calling at Southampton Airport Parkway, Eastleigh, Shawford, Winchester and Micheldever. (2 per hour)
- Southampton Central to Basingstoke. Calling at Eastleigh and Micheldever (2 per hour)
- Fareham to Eastleigh. Calling at Botley and Hedge end. (2 per hour)
- Southampton Central to Romsey. Calling at St Denys., Swaythling, Southampton Airport Parkway, Eastleigh , and Chandler’s Ford. (1 per hour)Tuesday until further notice
- Winchester to Eastleigh. Calling at Shawford
- Eastleigh to Southampton Airport Parkway
- Chandler’s Ford to Eastleigh
In a statement on the Network Rail Website John Halsall, managing director, Southern region Network Rail said
“Everyone here in my team is bitterly disappointed with the service over the last few days and we’re doing everything we can to make it right.
The Rail Accident Investigation Branch is currently investigating the incident .