Eastleigh Borough Council supported an emergency motion put forward by Councillor Nick Couldrey that objects to the proposed closure of Fair Oak library and reduction in opening hours of other libraries in the borough by Hampshire County Council.
The motion also calls on the Borough’s two MP’s to support better funding of local government to help avoid further reductions in these and further services from the County Council.
Hampshire County Council’s proposals include:
- Reducing the opening hours of existing funded libraries in Eastleigh Borough by 32% from January 2021
- The closure of Fair Oak library
- Removing funding from Lowford as a community managed library.
- 19% reduction in opening hours for Chandler’s Ford library
- 23% reduction in opening hours for Eastleigh library
- 30% reduction in opening hours for West End library
- 39% reduction in opening hours for Hedge End library
Cllr Nick Couldrey said, “I’m delighted that the Council supported my motion to help protect our local libraries for our residents. I’m deeply concerned that these proposals will both reduce the hours of opening for many of our libraries and close others, including our local library in Fair Oak, depriving local residents of popular and valued local community facilities.”