Residents with ‘larger vehicles’ to pay to use council tip

Householders using pick-ups, vans, or 'large trailers' to dispose of domestic rubbish will have to pay from June. Lib Dems slam move as 'short-sighted'

Recycling centre at Fair Oak – Pic Google maps

Residents who use vans, pick-up trucks or tow ‘large trailers’ to take their household or garden rubbish to the tip will have to pay in future the County council has decided

From 1 June 2019, residents wishing to use ‘larger vehicles’ to transport their domestic waste to Hampshire’s household waste recycling centres (HWRCs) will have to make sure they are registered and pay for a permit. The permit will cost £15 and will be valid for 12 months or 12 visits, and provides access for vans and larger vehicles at any of the 24 HWRCs across Hampshire.

The ‘non-trade’ permit scheme for vans and trailers was first introduced in 2008 so that Hampshire residents could use a van, pick-up or trailer longer than 1.8m to transport their own household waste for disposal, while restricting use of the sites for commercial purposes.

Hampshire County Council says the fee has been introduced to enable continued access for large vans and trailers to HWRCs as a contribution towards the cost of providing a permit, “against a backdrop of growing demands for council services, further reductions in government funding, rising costs and inflation.”

The Leader of the opposition Liberal Democrat group on Hampshire County Council, Councillor Keith House, said the Lib Dems had opposed the charges and that the Conservative led administration had ‘failed’ on waste in Hampshire.

Cllr House told Eastleigh News

“These short-sighted cuts will both inconvenience residents and create fly-tipping which passes costs on to Borough Councils like Eastleigh and creates mess on our streets”

The charges will also apply to blue badge holders.

The “non-trade van permit” charge applies to Hampshire HWRCs and to Southampton City Council’s City Depot HWRC but not Portsmouth City Council’s HWRC at Paulsgrove.

Residents wishing to apply for a permit can do so at: