Tag: HFRS

Drains likely cause of mystery fumes

Fumes which led to a Boyatt Wood dental surgery being evacuated and a shopping centre car park being cordoned off last week  most likely came from drains – possibly from another premises – a spokesperson for the practice has said. Three members of staff were effected by the smell and Hampshire Fire and Rescue mobilised five fire…

Firefighters rescue stranded horse at Brambridge

  Firefighters from Eastleigh have  rescued a horse which had slipped and fallen over a dead tree in a field on Brambridge Park on Friday. Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service Control operators mobilised one fire appliance and the multi-role vehicle from Eastleigh  Fire Station and the animal rescue vehicle team from Lyndhurst, together with an…

Workers suffer chemical burns

Fire crews were called to the United Parcels services site in Dutton Lane this morning after six members of staff suffered chemical burns. Five men and one woman needed medical treatment after they discovered a chemical substance in the back of a truck at the parcel depot. The Crews were called just after 7 am…

Put it out – Right out

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding smokers on National No Smoking Day that careless handling and disposal of cigarettes is the single biggest killer in house fires across the country. With a steady decline in the number of smokers, the overall number of fires triggered by cigarettes is small, but with over 90 fire…

£7 million for fire partnership

Four fire and rescue services in the South have welcomed the award of a £7.2m grant from the Government. Devon and Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Services have formed the Networked Fire Control Services Partnership to develop the future provision of their Fire Control services. The Government grant will enable the partnership…

MP praise as Fire Service goes green

Chris Huhne MP showed his support for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service’s commitment to the environment at a recent visit to the Service’s Headquarters in Eastleigh on 13 January 2012. At a meeting with Chief Officer John Bonney, Chris Huhne MP was presented with the Service’s polices and plans that outline its commitment to reducing…

Eastleigh Firefighter honoured

An Eastleigh Firefighter has been awarded a ‘top gong’ in the New Years Honours List. Peter Crook has been awarded the Queen’s Fire Service Medal in the New Year’s Honours list, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to international search and rescue during his 32 year career with Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service. The Queen’s…

100 firefighters tackle hospital blaze

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service have told how over 100 firefighters successfully fought a ferocious a fire at the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester. Although they succeeded in preventing the blaze from spreading there are fears that the £800,000 MRI scanner at the Winchester and Eastleigh Health Care Trust’s flagship hospital has been destroyed. Crews from…

Hospital fire gridlocks Winchester

Fire crews have been battling a large blaze at the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester – Eastleigh‘s nearest hospital. Regular Eastleigh News contributor Peter Williamson has sent in these photos live from the scene. Peter was told the first fire appliance siren was heard at 3.45 and he counted 8 appliances,  about 6 ambulances…

Fire service advice for a safe Bonfire Night

“Fireworks can be fun, but can also be dangerous even lethal” is the stark message from Station Manager Ian Wadmore of the community safety team at Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service. The utmost care is necessary in their storage, handling and use, whether you are organising a display for the family, friends or the general…

Fire at Heinz Burt close

At 19:24 yesterday evening  Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to a fire at Heinz Burts Close . The fire was located on the first floor of a three story residential building which fronted Leigh Road. Control operators mobilised two fire appliances from Eastleigh. A total of 9 firefighters quickly brought the fire under…

No more kipping in the kebab shop

An Eastleigh businessman has been fined for allowing people to kip in his kebab shop It is not known if this was in response to the housing crises in Eastleigh where the continuing credit crunch has seen demand for rented accommodation and rents soar but  shop owner, Iskender Anik, appeared at Southampton Magistrates’ Court on…

Workshop blaze sparks gas cylinder alert

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a huge blaze at workshop in Hedge End yesterday. The fire produced a column of smoke could be seen from Southampton Control operators mobilised fire appliances from Hightown, St Mary’s and Eastleigh together with the Special Equipment Unit from St Mary’s, the Incident Command Unit from Service Headquarters in…

Hendys support Blue Lamp Trust

To assist The Blue Lamp Trust in their efforts to promote improved driving standards and road safety in the business community, Eastleigh based dealership Hendy Group have generously supplied the Trust with a Ford Mondeo.  The vehicle will be used to deliver driver training to companies to assist them in evidencing their duty of care…

Tortoise sparks house blaze

A young tortoise was saved in the nick of time yesterday when a smoke alarm alerted a neighbour to fire in an adjoining property. Two fire engines sped to an address in Droxford and used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to extinguish a fire in the dining room of the property. Firefighter Kevin Sherfield…