Hampshire Fire crews are now back on duty following tonight’s strike which ended at 11pm.
Hampshire Fire rescue have said they were able to respond to a number of emergency calls throughout Hampshire within their normal 20 minute response time.
During the strike action there were 41 fire appliances available to respond to emergencies across Hampshire, which is more than 50 per cent of the usual number. The majority of appliances were crewed by retained firefighters and operational staff not based in fire stations.
Meanwhile the Fire Brigades Union has praised firefighters for their unity and determination during last night’s strike.
FBU General Secretary Matt Wrack said, “Firefighters have once again shown their determination to defend their pension rights and to campaign for a pension which reflects the job they do.
“We hope government will now sit down and negotiate a settlement to this dispute. “So far Ministers have completely ignored the evidence in front of them. We hope this action will finally open their eyes.”
A further stoppage is planned for Monday morning between 6am and 8am.